Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Bill,
Great to see the updates! Glad it's starting to come together. I'm just getting back into my build. Been trying to figure the needed thickness of a valve cover spacer that I'll need to clear the valve covers. Same covers as yours. As a note, what did you determine you would need to clear?
Rick

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I used two double thick gaskets

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks Bill. I checked clearance with modeling clay, and I think everywhere would have cleared except at the breather baffle, so I'm going to go with a 1/2" spacer. Some day I might even get the engine in the car!

·
1,027 Posts
For the love of god man, I thought this project was dead! Definitely looking forward to watching the build progress...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,542 Posts
I am glad to see you back. Also glad to see you in this forum where there is more traffic. The originality forum is fine but I seldom remember to go there.

·
Junior Charter Member
209 Posts
Bill has dropped off of our site and said the Cobra could set there an decompose for all he cared. I had offered to come over and help him remove the body so he could do the things he needed to with it off but I guess he decided to do it himself and messed up the dash. I was going to run over to his place and see if there was anything we could do but I am not sure he would want me around as angry as he seemed to be about the latest setback. Hopefully he will soon get past that and finish the Cobra as the work so far has been fantastic.

Ron

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Bill has dropped off of our site and said the Cobra could set there an decompose for all he cared. I had offered to come over and help him remove the body so he could do the things he needed to with it off but I guess he decided to do it himself and messed up the dash. I was going to run over to his place and see if there was anything we could do but I am not sure he would want me around as angry as he seemed to be about the latest setback. Hopefully he will soon get past that and finish the Cobra as the work so far has been fantastic.

Ron
Are you sure? Seems his last post on this thread was only a few days ago. This is a very cool project!

·
Junior Charter Member
209 Posts
This was Bill's last post over on our site and it was on the 5th of the month. We all hated to see him stop also and maybe I shouldn't have posted it here but it seemed that a lot of people here were also following his build and were impressed by what he has done so far.

Finally got around to removing the body to install the speedo cable. Destroyed the dash padding in the process. Now I’ll have to remove the steering column, all the dash wiring, switch panel, gauges, and vent pulls, then strip of the padding.

Just going to let the car decompose. No interest in finishing it.

Adios everyone. I’m outta here

Ron

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Back to working on the car. The damage to the dash will be hidden once the body is installed. Just finished having custom headers fabricated and undercar exhaust installed. Headers were $2858 and total exhaust came to $4133. Ouch

Just waiting for a restoration battery to arrive in about three weeks and then I can start her up

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Custom fabricated oil cooler scoop from aluminum with tig welded flange for mounting. Rolled front lip. Similar to early original race cars.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Undertaking building a cold air box like in the picture below. Finished plotting all the dimensions 1:1 scale on some heavy duty poster board. Next up transferring to a sheet of aluminum for proof fitting.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Deleted

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Retro looking dry cell battery in correct location

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Time to lay out and start machining the cold air box base.

Dimensions plotted

Dykem sprayed and ready to go

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
All the dimensions scribed

making chips

first part complete

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Test fitting air horns

Made first access hole for needles and jets

Checking screw hole alignment. Perfect

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Laying out slope and height of the side piece. Will use contour of car side to side for arc contour

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 106 Posts