Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

a few of the bolts (actually "screws" by definition in this case) have been replaced my the ignition coil wire holders.

but the others bolts have black star washers and oil is leaking through. just a little bit, but the, i only have 500 miles on the car.

with a flat washer, it should seal it out. must i use the star washers? i don't recall if the bolts and star washers came with the valve covers.

UPDATE FOR CLARIFICATION: OIL IS COMING OUT THROUGH THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREW HEAD FLANGES

[ February 15, 2007, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: NiceGuyEddie ]

·
Registered
134 Posts
permatex the bolts. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
permatex on the threads, or the flange?

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I need clarification....

Is the oil coming out the bolt hole? Or, are the covers themselves leaking?

Mike

·
6,332 Posts
Eddie,
Regardless of what else you do I'd pass on the star washers as they will chinger up the valve cover. If you have shoulder bolts use nothing, otherwise a flat washer on anything else with a small head that doesn't cover the hole well. Go a size smaller on the washers for a snug fit on the bolt shank. EG on a 5/16 bolt use a 1/4" washer.
Frank

·
1,569 Posts
You should never rely on any washer to seal the oil. The gasket circles the bolt holes. If the gasket is on correctly, the bolts should stay dry.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Oil is getting past the gasket.
Go ahead and try round washers just to torque the cover down a LITTLE more for better gasket function.
If it still leaks, pull the cover and replace the gasket.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikiec

definitely coming out from under the flange. it's most apparent in the center valve cover bolt, where there is a little cupped cavity.

they are not leaking around the perimeter, or from the bottom edge over the heads

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jester,

you are right, now that i think of it. the gaskets indeed circle the bolt holes. do the gaskets stay "dry" or do they get "moist" with oil?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Eddie...

If you are using cork gaskets pull them off and ditch 'em...

Get the Mustang VC gaskets from Ford. '91 or '92 and later used a rubber coated steel shim. Can't over tighten them and they are reusable...

Worth the money. Last set you'll buy...

HTH...
Mark

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
Mustang Man, I just went through that with Ford.
I got the new gasket you describe but it wouldn't fit the valve cover. I have the same covers as Eddie.
They look just like the gaskets in the FRPP catalog that states those won't work with covers that have a gasket lip.
I got a set of Fel-Pro #VS 50029 C. They fit the cover perfectly.
These are listed as a high temp gasket and have metal rings in the bolt holes to keep you from over tightening them.
Got them at Advance Auto. If they want an application tell them 1985 Mustang GT.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Are you sure about Eddie's VC's? I have the same ones on my '66 Mustang, except open letter style, and being cast aluminum they have a flat machined gasket surface with no gasket "lip" like you are referring to (like a stamped steel cover)...

Eddie? You know what the gasket surface on your VC's look like?

Mark

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,659 Posts
Suggestion , go to a good hardware store and buy some 1 1/2 long 1/4-20 allen head set screws and 1/4 -20 hex nuts , makes alligning the covers and gaskets a snap . Has worked for me for the last 38 years.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Eddie, before you buy anything, make sure the fastners aren't bottoming out in the heads. Most aftermarket valve covers use a thin flange, and if the bolts bottom out, that can lead to leaking covers, because the covers aren't tight against the head.
John

·
Junior Charter Member
785 Posts
I got my valve cover gaskets from Fortes. They are made for the cobra valve cover and I have had no leaks, so far.

Bill

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
J Persons: good thought. i will check the bolts.

can't remember what kind of gaskets are under there. i will check it out.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i needed to retorque the valve cover bolts for many months after my head swap. they would get very loose. finally they stayed tight. as others have mentioned do not over tighten!

i made sure the covers were straight (required some work with a big file on my cast aluminum)

i used a good gasket.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,317 Posts
Speed2much is exactly right with those gaskets. The steel/rubber ones work great on a VC with no lip. I had the exact same issue. You can also coat both sides of the cork gasket with a thin coat of RTV. I just wish Ford made a decent gasket to fit the VC like Eddie's. The great thing about that steel gasket is you can take the VC's off a hundred times and still no leaks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts