Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago there was a thread about MSD ignitions, as to weather they were worth it or not. Thinking back on all the posts on builds I cant say that Ive seen alot of mention of MSD ignitions or any other brands of ignitions either. That being said I was courious because I was in the middle of installing a complete MSD set up on my car. I used a MSD 6a box a MSD billit distributer, and a MSD flame thrower coil and today I installed the MSD plug wires. The dist comes with a couple of sets of springs, so I put in a set of medium springs. You can use the springs to set the tension on the magnets. The adjustments allow you to let the engine rev faster or slower depending on what your looking for. This adjustment takes about 5 min. On my first road test there was a noticable increase in power from a dead stop or exceleration at any point I mashed the excelerator. How much increase in hp there was I can't say without a dino, but if you can feel it, I would think it was at least a moderate increase, enough to say it was worth the bother.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Believe your refering to the springs for controling the mechanical advance rate. When you installed the lighter springs you allowed the timing to advance sooner at a faster rate. Now would be good time to check the rate and amount of timing with your timeing light. May find you can go lighter still with the springs for better performance. Just be carefull so not to advance too much too fast as to detonate ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.