Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime ago, someone on the forum suggested that I invest in a MSD 6 ignition component with their blaster coil. I did the coil previously as the stock donot one looked like it had certainly seen better days.

What will the MSD 6 intition really do for my 5.0 EFI car? Thoughts? I have a Summit gift certificate that I found that expires tomorrow!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
A 6AL will not do a hole heck of alot for a stock motor. It will smooth the idle some, give a little crisper throttle responce,and give minimal improvemnt in fuel economy. The Rev limiter in the 6al is much better than the stock as it cuts spark and not fuel so having this set below the factory setting may save your motor. The main benifit you'll get from the 6AL is with it your ignition system will be able to support a blower and you'll have to get one so your 6AL investment won't go to waist. :D

·
Premium Member
17,807 Posts
If your engine is essentially stock, in good condition, and runs well, probably nothing. The stock Ford parts are actually pretty good, without a whole lot of room for significant improvement.

If your engines is modified, that's a different story, high compression, high effective cylinder pressures, blowers, etc, make it difficult to produce a good spark.

Also, cams and intakes that are designed for higher rpm's don't run very well at low rpm's. So the MSD (Multiple Spark Discharge) can compensate for some of that.

If you have an essentially stock engine, spend your money on something else.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
You might want to look into the MSD Digital 6. I incorporates two retard settings: one a 20 deg start retard and one for NOS. It also has built in rev limiters. Nice ignition system.

Roscoe

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You might want to check the Mallory HyFire VI (Summit P/N MAA-685). I heard good things about it at corral.net and there was an article on Car Craft a month ago about it. If you talk to the guy at Century Performance he also swears by it, he doesn't even sells MSD.

The thing is completely digital (versus analog on the MSD 6A or 6AL boxes) and only costs about $20 more than it at Summit.

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is all good feedback and I thank you all. Will probably hold a bit and see what comes of my motor in the near future

1 - 6 of 6 Posts