Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 6 piston Wilwoods on the front of my car, I replaced 13" Baer 2 piston brakes. Can I mount them on the back and build a bracket for the calipers? The total piston volume on the PBR calipers should be less than the new Wilwoods, so the bias would be more toward the front. I did not have any luck selling the Baer brakes, so I thought maybe this would be a solution. What do you think, Aron

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Rear calipers have the parking brake built in, while fronts don't. Even if you come up with brackets, you'd prob have to come up with a driveshaft parking brake.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
I have front brembos on the back. I can send drawings of the brackets when I get back to the states. You will need to use front rotors as well. Keep in mind that this will limit wheel selection in a VERY big way. I have found NO production wheels to fit. I am having to go with pure custom race wheels. It is probably not a good idea unless you have a compelling reason to do so. My brake actuated hidden traction control requires some serious rear brake.

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have removed the park brake on the rear brakes I have now already. I think the back space will be OK, I may need a spacer to get them back out a little farther. I was planning on using the 13" rotor and the calipers.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
use a hydrolic park lock works great and in alot of states is approved emer brake

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colorado does not require a park brake, question is will it work

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. This is for an IRS.

IF you use calipers designed for a front SN95 spindle, you will need to use the front rotor as well. There is not a way to fit a bracket for a rear rotor without considerable machining. The rotor has too much dish and the caliper mounts fall out all wrong. If you use this combo with a large caliper such a Wilwood or Brembo, the caliper will hit the wheel regardless of backspace. The only wheels that will fit are 9" designed to clear large front brakes.

It will work but it is a pain. Here is a pic with brembo front caliper and 13" rotor. And yes I know the caliper is upside down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi. I believe Disc Brakes Are Us uses that set up (front brakes on the rear) on their display chassis. Give Tom a call at 888 558 5757.

·
Cobra Fanatic
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mounted the 13" rotors and the PBR calipers yesterday on the rear of the car and everything fits great. I just need to buy the caliper bracket or fab one up. Looks like it will work great. I will call Disc Brakes Are Us tomorrow. I did see the caliper bracket on their web site, but could not find it in their catalog.
Thanks RKay, I owe you one, how about Yea Red Socks. Ouch that really hurt!
Aron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts