Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I got my new Cobra R's from OE Wheels out of FL, let me begin by saying they are awesome!

I was talking to the local shop and they said the 315 rears are too wide for thier machine to mount and balance.

Before I start looking around I wanted to know if any of you have had a baqd experience (no names required) with mounting of tires on Chrome wheels.

Any dents, scratches, etc...

Are there methods required to avoid damaging the wheel when mounting the tire?

Thanks for all your help.
Ivan

·
Charter Member
707 Posts
If they cant get those 315's on go some where else. I would look at a big wheel place, I had that happen before, some places just dont know or have new enough equipment. I actuly had a guy tell me once he couldnt put new tires on my 17's cause the rims are so big, he called over one of his younger buddys and what do you know, piece of cake.

·
1,595 Posts
Most mounting machines do not touch the wheel, but I guess the test is how good is the guy using it.

Bill G

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Originally posted by Bill G:
Most mounting machines do not touch the wheel, but I guess the test is how good is the guy using it.

Bill G
All mounting machine have to touch the wheel in order to roll the tire bead onto the rim.

Ivan I don't know how wide your wheels are but thinking around 9" you should have no problems having them mounted. As other suggested find a dedicated tire store.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Try a shop that deals in off road trucks that mount those monster mudders or a shop that works on "tuners". They will be able to mount up the wheels since their custumers run 17-21" rims.
There is always the risk of damaging a rim when mounting a tire,but not to likely when dealing with a shop that does this regularly.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look around for a race/tuner shop.

Are there any special precautions that I should insist on before turning over the wheels for mounting?

Thanks again.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Ask them if the guarantee their work with wheel replacement.
Even the sears here do.

·
15,282 Posts
You can get the wheel in a 10.5" width, which is what most of us are running 315s on. My personal choice was the somewhat more retro Bullitt wheel, with the 10.5" wheels in the back and 9" wheels up front. Pretty common setup for the guys here.

I've never had any trouble mounting on my 17" wheels at the local Discount Tire. They sometimes have to try more than once to get a 35-series tire on my 18" wheels, but in three sets of tires they have not damaged a wheel.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dukegrad98 is right;

I am running the 17x9 in front with 255/45 and 17x10.5 with 315/35 in the rear.

I'll ask about wheel replacement, thanks!

As always, I feel like I owe all of you a beer, hope a cyber beer is acceptable for now.

Thanks again,
Ivan

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
No self respecting tire shop should be without a rim clamp. After I sold my shop I kept it at home. the really good ones only touch the rim on the inside and the 10k ones only touch it with plastic. Even the cheap ones do not touch the face of the rim. the old style machines although faster but are not as rim friendly. Bob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
I went to my new WalMart store. New machine, trained staff, no problem and cheap,
Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
823 Posts
Make sure you tell them not to hammer on the lead weights to balance the assembly!

Actually, tell them twice. And stand there and watch the actual work being done.

I had left explicit instructions to do a tape balance, manager says "no problem!", come back to pick up the tires and had weights hammered on every single one of them! This broke the clear-coat finish on every single wheel.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,874 Posts
17"X9",275x40 up front . . . 17"X10.5" rears, running 315x35 with no problems.

Look for a Discount Tire shop.

Doc

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like mentioned you want the wt. glued on not hammered on the bead of the rim.If they use sticky tape to mount the wheights,use some epoxy to glue them on when returning home. Also depending on what tire is used some have a mark or dot that needs to align with the valve stem so they balance properly. Some tires are also direction specific meaning an arrow on side wall will designate what tire goes on what side of the car. If so it also meand tires can not be rotated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, the light starts to flicker.

Some times I begin to feel like I know what I'm doing, and then, poof, it's gone...

Thanks again, I'll look around and talk to some shops.

Cheers,
Ivan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts