Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you mount items behind the dash? I don't like the idea of mounting items (relays, grounding strips, computer, etc.) to the firewall as you will see the bottom of the rivit through the firewall.

Any pictures would be helpful.

Also, how did you attach your relays that do not have a bracket built in?

Thanks,

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
Install the rivit from the engine side of the firewall, using clecos to hold things in place from the other side. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
902 Posts
I created an aluminum panel and mounted it on the 2x2 square tube and the dash hoop center post behind the firewall. Unfortunately, it takes up the space where most of the folks here install [email protected] pass. side of the dash.

·
2,745 Posts
I mounted nearly everything to the 2x2 frame member, the dash hoop, it's support of one of the side frame members.

Here are a few pics.

This one shows that the firewall still doesn't have much on it or thru it.

HTH,

Chris.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
I installed a false firewall about 1/4 inch behind the original firewall. I fabed it out of .060 thick aluminum, with a 90 degree bend on the bottom. I attached it to the 2X2 frame rail with 10-32 screws. Sorry no pictures.
Tim

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Nick, Now thats' what I call a "great" job!! Wish my behind dash looked half as clean as yours!!

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick,

Love the aluminum tube idea. I may have to try that!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Thanks guys! I cheated though, I moved the fire wall forward 4-3/8" to give me the room I needed for the A/C - heat,defrost,cruise and Mass flow electronics (customer requested options). It took twelve relays to run everything on this car.
Nick Smith

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Nothing attached to the firewall except a light for the engine compartment.

I added a bracket along the length of dash and attached the relays, etc. to this.... as well I added a hinged lower plate that I attached the fuse box to . Just click link below - more images on my website.

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
I am getting "Dash Envy"!! LOL

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Larry...Thanks.....I used Visio. You might imagine that it is not as easy as it looks....great tool but loads of work for details.

·
Charter Member
120 Posts
Hey Nick, a couple of those wires aren't bent at a 90 degree angle. I hope you can improve on that!
Grant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts