Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some builders have installed custom headrests on their roll bars. They used a type of clamp that wrapped around the roll bar legs, and had a provision for a cross brace tube to mount the headrest on.

I know Finishline (or some forum vendor), sells one designed for shoulder harness mounting, but that's not the kind I'm looking for. Somewhat similar, but without the harness eye-bolts.

Can anybody tell me what they were called, and where to get them? I can't remember what there original purpose was, to be able do a Google search for them.

·
7,201 Posts
Bill,

You can use the Finishline "X" brace and change the eye bolts out for regular bolts if you want. My headrests use motorcycle handle bar mirror mounts to connect to the cross bar.

Ray

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Attachments

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
CobraEarl also makes a very cool headrest that covers the entire FFR single rollbar and it held in place with Velcro, so it's removable. Very nice for safety, but pulls off when you get to the cruise night or car show for a more original look.

He sells these with plain headrests, too, in case you don't like the embroidery.

·
Registered
567 Posts

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the type of clamps I was thinking of..Might have to incorporate Ray's idea of using m/cycle handlebar parts to fit the cross tubes.

Ray, any close up pic's of how that was accomplished?

I was given a set of new calf pads, which I think will work really great for roll bar head rests. Very durable, and nicely finished. Good match for the standard low back seats. Tube mounting is already included on them to boot..:)

Here's a picture of these calf pads, in case someone is looking for ideas for a headrest. Apparently they are available in different colors too..

http://www.alcosales.com/images/420HL_l.jpg

I didn't get the tubing with the ones I was given, just the pads, but I bet that stainless steel tubing might be able to be incorporated if they were bought as pictured.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still playing with ideas for headrest mounting, when i came across this picture of the Flying Dutchman's roadster. I noticed how far forward these headrests are, in comparison to any of the roll bar mounted versions I have seen. For the best protection from whip-lash, do you think I would need to extend my headrests as far forward, to a similar position?

I wonder with them being that far forward, if they may prevent ones head from reaching the roll bar, in the case of say, being hit from the rear at an angle. This may not be the case with a smaller headrest mounted further back towards the roll bar.

Thoughts?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa251/MWOUTERSE/COBRA/Picture012-1.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would think a roll bar mounted head rest is the next best thing to a high back seat, you don't see many with our cars and when you do they seem to be mounted too far back to do the driver much good in my opinion,i would want it about even with the back of the seat which would mean bringing it quite a bit forward from the bar.Pat.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,825 Posts

·
New
1,143 Posts
I'm looking to make some adjustable and removable headrests that will attach to the stock low back seats. I think the roll bar mounts put the pad too far back to be effective, at least for me. Will put up some pics when I get further along.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'm looking to make some adjustable and removable headrests that will attach to the stock low back seats. I think the roll bar mounts put the pad too far back to be effective, at least for me. Will put up some pics when I get further along.
If you could execute your idea, that would be awesome. If you look at mine they are forward and in proper position, but if you were a shorter person and the seat was forward, it would be an issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't like the original Cobra design seats as they are too wide for my narrow butt, lack lateral and lumbar support, and a headrest. I also don't like the moden race seats (and wheels) as it spoils the classic look of the car. To me the answer is to go with a better designed, but period correct(ish), seat. A lot of the Porsche guys use GTS Classics for seating.

Porsche seats - leather car seats - custom car seats - Recaro car seats - classic car seats

If you look at the ST 901 pics it shows a leatherette/corduroy combo with eyelets. I'm sure you could get this done in any of their seats, and it would kind of visually link them to the GT40. Many of their seats have the headrest option, but I admit that I'm not sure if thet are just there for looks or if they would be functional in a rear end crash.

Bob

·
New
1,143 Posts
If you could execute your idea, that would be awesome. If you look at mine they are forward and in proper position, but if you were a shorter person and the seat was forward, it would be an issue.
That is part of my issue with a roll bar mount. I have my seat a bit too far forward. I hadn't seen yours when I responded before though. They are by far the best looking and probably the only ones that I would feel comfortable with. I've got some plans for something else that will need to be clamped to the bar though, so I'm going to give my idea a shot. I may still go with these 914 seats eventually. They sit me up a touch higher though and with the Breeze roll bars, I'm even with the bar. They need a bit of modifying though as they don't center up in the bars.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A seat mounted headrest would be ideal, but that would likely take take some frame modifications, and upholstery work, so for now I will stick with the roll bar mounted plan. My seat is mounted as far back as it will go, so I just need to figure out how far forward the headrest needs to sit, and how to safely mount it.

I read during a search on headrest info, of an aluminum cast/billet type roll bar mount, cracking, when just tightening it on. I question if one was rear ended hard, if they could withstand the impact of ones head bouncing off of it? Sure wouldn't want broken sharp edged metal in that region of ones noggin..:eek:
I gather that Finishline changed the mount from cast to a welded steel, perhaps because of this aspect?

The headrest pads I obtained are not as wide as H82's, so I wonder if they would still offer the protection, or not.
Probably be fine in a dead center rear end hit, but if hit slightly off to one side or the other, I wonder if my head may by-pass the headrest altogether, and still hit the rollbar? My pads are slightly bigger than the size of Rays.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I made mine last spring for a track event. Copied the one on club cobra. Did my own upholstery. Works great for me while wearing a helmet. I'm switching to the breeze roll bar and will not make one to fit it. Very functional, but I just don't like the look.

Attachments

·
New
1,143 Posts
I made mine last spring for a track event. Copied the one on club cobra. Did my own upholstery. Works great for me while wearing a helmet. I'm switching to the breeze roll bar and will not make one to fit it. Very functional, but I just don't like the look.
Those are pretty nice looking too Dave. I like that shape for the pad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.