Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am planning to use the velcro to mount the dash but I don't know which goes first - the body on or the dash on. Please advise

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
If I remember correctly most guys do it AFTER the body is mounted. I did mine before and it turned out fine, but I may have been lucky. -dan

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Like Dan, I didn't fit my dash untill I trial fit the body. Then I knew just where it had to go and how far up it went on the dash support. Also this gives you the ability to shift it a bit side to side to keep it centered.
JMHO.

Skip

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Mount the dash after body is fitted. At that point, you can shove the dash up and into place between the body and the dash hoop.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
I used Mike's lower filler panel. The dash will effectively be mounted without necessarily needing to be attached to the hoop. Some folks leave the top of the dash cover as a flap (don't fold over and glue) to address any issues with alignment.

I'm intending to use, at most, three screws. One in the middle and one at each end. I may need to shuck the dash up a bit but I have enough overlap between the body and top of the dash to not have an issue.

HTH,

Mark

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I use one screw in the center upper edge of the dash. It connects to the dash hoop. The ends are just tucked in. It's solid as a rock. The screw has a plastic washer under it that also has a snap-on cover. Hides the screw head well.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Calgary,
As you can see there are as many ways to do it as people respond. I mounted mine before the body, however I had done several trial mountings previously. Before I mounted the gauges I installed the body and bolted it down for aft both sides, as well as by the rear view mirror with the appropriate spacers. Having done this I slid the dash panel up into place and from the engine compartment traced the hoop bar support on to the back side of the dash panel. On the front side I traced the countour of the body. I may have a little trimming to keep the panel to the top of the hoop for the full countour. Removing the dash panel I used a mechanical compass and transposed the location of the bottom of the hoop from the engine side to the cockpit side. This then gave me the realtionship of the body lip to the bottom of the hoop bar. This then allowed me to place cardboard gauge templets on the dash in position so they would not hit the hoop bar after installation. In my build I installed a grab rail so I welded in some dash supports that helped attach the dash. Reguardless, you now know where you can place mounting screws that will be hidden by the body lip allowing you to mount the dash before installing the body after painting. Another freture I incorporated during this process of securing the body was to weld a piece of 1/8 thick x 2"wide about 6" long piece of bar stock at the center of the hoop going forward and parallel to the body countour. This gave me more leeway as to where I couln place the mirror/body hold down screws. It allowed me to use bolts and nuts instead of machine screws going into the 3/4" square tube. This allowed me to have more of the car final assembly completed minimizing my fears of sctatching the final paint.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
gbranham,
Your interior looks great, very clean and well done. I have to say though, that "snap on cover" over the screw head really "jumps" out at you in that picture. I used 4 black screws with black trim rings and you have to really look hard to see them. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts