Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winterizing my MK4 and also doing the 500mi oil change recently. I already changed it once after breaking in my flat tappet cam and have been using Gibbs BR30 break in oil.
I noticed the oil after 500 mi looks like what I might expect after 5000mi. It goes in honey colored and comes out like coca cola.
I was just curious if this is pretty normal for 500mi on the oil clock.
Also noticed a stronger than normal gasoline smell to it. It a new engine, so of course I'm worried about washing down my cylinder walls. If dealing with cylinder wash down, would I expect a higher than normal volume in the oil pan? Does this this get burned off and evacuated with the PCV system? Should I adjust my EFI to run leaner? Should I pull plugs to see how they look?
Or should I just shut up and drive? I'm voting for the latter.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,879 Posts
I would try to figure out what is causing the oil to smell like gas. The couple times I have dealt w/ this it definitely did not burn off. I'd look at your FiTech via whatever reader you have available for sure.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my FiTech tuned by a guy I found online. He took a look at all my fuel tables and came up with a custom tune. I think my idle AFR is set for either 14.0 or 14.1

·
363 Posts
14 to 1 is good about average on the lean side not rich, you might look into the injection system . mine has a crane hifire ignition system with ford port efi with the ignition turned on it will open one the injectors and will flood it i havent figured out the problem yet but i dont park it with the ignition on except for running it and it runs fine , but fixing it is a project for another day havent figured out what direction to go with putting a different engine in it efi or carbed

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The break in process will discolour the oil more quickly. Break in oil also has a tendency to change colour faster. During the initial break in there is a lot of blow by until the rings seat properly. If I remember correctly you have a large capacity road race oil pan on a 289. It is going to take a long spirited drive to get your oil up to temps high enough to blow off the accumulated fuel and water through the PCV system.
Small engine, big oil pan and easy driving equals more contaminated oil.
Change the oil and drive it like you stole it or at least like you rented it.

Norm

Reactions: egchewy

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The break in process will discolour the oil more quickly. Break in oil also has a tendency to change colour faster. During the initial break in there is a lot of blow by until the rings seat properly. If I remember correctly you have a large capacity road race oil pan on a 289. It is going to take a long spirited drive to get your oil up to temps high enough to blow off the accumulated fuel and water through the PCV system.
Small engine, big oil pan and easy driving equals more contaminated oil.
Change the oil and drive it like you stole it or at least like you rented it.

Norm
On a related topic, how long does it take rings to set? I don’t seem to be burning excessive oil when I drive.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Just a thought, might not apply. Multigrade oils then to go black very quickly so it might not be an issue if you are not finding metal on a magnetic plug.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On a related topic, how long does it take rings to set? I don’t seem to be burning excessive oil when I drive.
Depends on what rings you are running. I have chrome/molly in mine and it could take up to 6,000 miles to get them fully set. Regular rings typically 1,000 to 2,000 miles. I have about 3,500 miles on mine and the motor is still burning a bit more oil than I and BPE think it should once fully set so I have maybe another 2,500 to go.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on what rings you are running. I have chrome/molly in mine and it could take up to 6,000 miles to get them fully set. Regular rings typically 1,000 to 2,000 miles. I have about 3,500 miles on mine and the motor is still burning a bit more oil than I and BPE think it should once fully set so I have maybe another 2,500 to go.
are you smoking or just notice that the oil level goes down over time?

·
Registered
63 Posts
are you smoking or just notice that the oil level goes down over time?
No smoke that we can perceive nor do we smell it burning...just level goes down over time. About a quart over 800 miles or so. BPE says it should only be a quart over 1,500 miles once the rings set. My dad, a Ford mechanic, always said of the old 1960s and 70s cars a quart over 1,000 miles was pretty much normal. That's the way my 1977 mustang 302 was, about 1 quart down after 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
No smoke that we can perceive nor do we smell it burning...just level goes down over time. About a quart over 800 miles or so. BPE says it should only be a quart over 1,500 miles once the rings set. My dad, a Ford mechanic, always said of the old 1960s and 70s cars a quart over 1,000 miles was pretty much normal. That's the way my 1977 mustang 302 was, about 1 quart down after 1,200 miles.
Yes, thats true, but this isn't the 60's and 70's. With todays tolerances and improved materials it should not be using near that much oil. My 331 never used any oil, but then I broke it in by driving it like I stole it, still how I drive it.

·
Not a waxer
12,077 Posts
a quart over 1,000 miles was pretty much normal….
Not for a 2012 Subaru…240,000 miles now and it has drank a quart every 500 miles like clockwork since day 1. Didn’t learn of the class action lawsuit settlement for engine replacement until it had already gone past the 100K cutoff so I just keep dumping it in and it just keeps pumping it through!

Jeff

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Not for a 2012 Subaru…240,000 miles now and it has drank a quart every 500 miles like clockwork since day 1. Didn’t learn of the class action lawsuit settlement for engine replacement until it had already gone past the 100K cutoff so I just keep dumping it in and it just keeps pumping it through!

Jeff
o_O I have a 2020 STI, doesn't use a drop, 12,000 miles, but then my 2012 F150 with over 100,000 doesn't either.

·
Not a waxer
12,077 Posts
o_O I have a 2020 STI, doesn't use a drop, 12,000 miles, but then my 2012 F150 with over 100,000 doesn't either.
I think after they had to short block a few hundred thousand cars to comply with the settlement they took action 😉

Jeff

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,261 Posts
My 2011 dodge minivan has 150k and uses zero oil at 7500 mile changes. The cobra uses no discernible oil at 2k when I change it every spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No smoke that we can perceive nor do we smell it burning...just level goes down over time. About a quart over 800 miles or so. BPE says it should only be a quart over and you can get the best ball joints for jeeps here.1,500 miles once the rings set. My dad, a Ford mechanic, always said of the old 1960s and 70s cars a quart over 1,000 miles was pretty much normal. That's the way my 1977 mustang 302 was, about 1 quart down after 1,200 miles.
Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts