Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to polish my louvers with some Mother's polish and it really doesn't seem to be doing too much. The can says to just wipe it on, and then wipe it off. So I did it like doing a car - wax on, wax off. I actually had a pretty hard time getting the residue off. And even after all that, they're slighly shinier but that's about it. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Are there any tricks to using this polish that I need to know? Are you supposed to give it time to dry before buffing it off? Or do it right away? Again, according to the can, I shouldn't have to use a buffer or tons of elbow grease.

(P.S. please don't suggest that I throw the louvers in the trash and buy better ones. I may do that eventually but I'm going to give these a try - at least until I break one off when I bend them! ;) )

Thanks.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I thought you rub it until it begins to turn black and then buff it off. I used it on my valve covers and it worked really well.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,033 Posts
Rub the polish on and when it turns black sprinkle some flour from the kitchen on it and wipe it off. You will have to repeat this until you like it.
Jeff Hamilton

·
Senior Charter Member
1,050 Posts
I agree with the others on this. It is a lot of work polishing but is worth it. Also you might want to use some ZoopSeal after you polish to lock the shine in.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
Trust me, you have to rub and rub hard to get it to really polish. I did all my aluminum panels with it so I know it does work.

Nathan

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Since they are still flat... I would suggest using a buffing wheel. If you can do it without catching a corner, they will polish pretty nicely. If you do catch a corner you have an excuse to get the Finisline ones.

Mine turned out pretty with a pretty good shine, I did a lot of my engine compartment panels, and my upper intake and valve covers - so I had a idea of pressure & of level of effort. Time consuming but not hard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll give it another round or two tomorrow and see how it turns out. I quit early today to go to the movies (celebrate the M win! :D ). Anybody see 'Serenity'? I thought it was pretty good.

823 Posts

·
Charter Member
3,431 Posts
I'm sure they will polish up fine, as I did my engine panels. I think the problem maybe keeping them polished once they are installed. I had mine powercoated shiney silver and they look great.

·
FFCobra Addict
925 Posts
I had the same problem and figured I was doing something wrong. I even tried a few different brands. NOTHING would work for me and my buffer. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what that might be! I've heard that some use steel wool and different grits of sandpaper before getting to the Mother's stage. Sure would be nice to get some detailed info on how to make my panels shine.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Screw them down on a piece of plywood while they are still flat, than use a buffing wheel with Mother's, it takes 20 minutes to do both. Bend them and spray them with clearcoat.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do like they did on the originals and paint them the same color as the car. Wax on, Wax off. All this polishing get monotonous.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
I used mother and paper towels to shine up much of my aluminum. You will need to rub a small area (size of your palm) for at least 30-60 seconds with firm pressure to see it start working. There is a balance to find with the amount of compound you use. It seems like too little or too much slows things down.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dont worry so much about taking Polish off at first...as the cloth gets black switch to a clean section and apply more polish, and more elbow grease.

I used 2 sided tape to secure mine to a steel bench top and used a drill with a lambs wool bonnet and Mothers...worked fast and look great. Dont forget to wash them in hot soapy water and rinse throughly to get ALL the polish off, allow to dry, then seal them when your done. Try not to get any greasy finger prints on them after you wash them ;) .

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
This is what has worked for me....

After much trail and error, I WET sanded my panels with 1500 (or finer) before going to the Mother's. Yes, you can go the straight Mother's route, but it'll take awhile and I'm convinced that the result is not as good as wet sanding first.

Let me know how it goes. (Matter of fact, I've got the radiator aluminum to do tonight :(

Patience is the key word here.

Good Luck,

Marc

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
They don't call it Mother's for nothing. You gotta work it like a $1000 Call Girl. Remember, the whole Mr. Miagi, wax on wax off thing was about WORK!

Marc's sand prep is also a good idea as it gets rid of the "brushed" aluminum of FFR's louvers.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I found a method that works. A combination of all the good advice given above.

I first hit them with 00 steel wool. This gave a base shine. Then I used the Mother's on a small area at a time (palm size). My big mistake before was stopping when I saw the black residue. That just means it's getting started - not that it's all done. Once you get the black, work it for another 45 seconds or so. Then buff off.

I wouldn't call them perfect but I can see my ugly mug in them so it's not bad. One side (of one louver) done. Three to go...

A guy at work gave me a tip on sealing them when I'm all done. He said to use floor wax. Claimed it was an old hot-rodders trick. Has anybody heard of that? The BS factor is generally pretty high with this guy so I wanted to do a double-check.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I powder-coated them using the cast alu. coating that Eastwood offers, after I had cleaned up the edges etc. that was 6 + years ago have yet to do more than just clean-up.
John.

·
5,206 Posts
Picky, picky, picky....

Put then on and drive the car. :D :D You missed a great trip this past weekend by being picky. You keep this up and Mike D might just get his done first. :eek: :eek:

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts