Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to install the pedal box in our MKIII. The pedal box is from a '90 mustang. It would appear that it does not fix correctly. The pedal box does not sit flush against the firewall (top holes are flush and bottom holes are about 3/8" from the wall) also the horizontal mount holes do not line up with the 3/4 tubing correctly. How much "adjusting" (bending) should I do, if any? I found the discussion by Tork and Russ. Russ’ fit looks perfect, but unlike mine. Also, Russ, is that an aluminum clutch bracket? Where did you get it?

I gonna start using the handle "two step," as in one step forward and two steps back!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
G,

Mine was the same way but it was an easy fix. First, line up the four firewall holes and tighten them down. This tightening will get you most of the way there. Next, use the leverage of a 2x4 or hammer handle to persuade the other holes in line on the 3/4 tubes. Its really not hard once you get to it.

One more thing. If you plan to raise your steering wheel height, the shaft might bump against the top of the pedal box closest to the driver. If so, you'll have to grind a notch into the box here.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,355 Posts
gtuttle
How does your donor gas pedal mount look? I am running into the same thing on my MK III build.

·
Charter Member
145 Posts
gtuttle
I've got the same issues. In addition to those problems it looks like the bottom of the pedal box mount at the firewall will interfere with the flange bearing for the steering shaft. You may want to test fit the shaft and bearing to see if you have the same problems.

·
Charter Member
145 Posts
Disregard my last post. There are two versions of the assembly manual. The newer one explains cutting the bottom of the pedal box, the older one doesn't. I guess I should keep my newer one in the workshop instead of the den. -Mike

·
Charter Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
McFly, yes, I have the same problem with the bottom of the pedal box hitting the flange bearing. It also interferes with the outside bolt that holds the flange to the firewall.

How much of the bottom of the pedal box did you remove?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts