Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmm,

I like some things about the FFR vinyl, and some things I don't. These pics show how I dealt with the bottom of the dash and curling the padded material around both sides with Super 90 glue. The aluminum channel is something I picked up at Lowes in the hardware aisle with all the other aluminum stock. I think it's intended to be an edge for 1/4 inch plywood. It's 4 feet long and I drilled some holes along the bottom and into the dash stock for the #4 stainless screws, then painted it black.

I'm not at all happy with the ends of the dash though. First I folded it under with glue, didn't like that, too puffy looking. Then I cut it off even with the bottom contour of the dash aluminum, the edge was WAY to white looking, so I painted it with Rustoleum satin black. Paint is not dry in these pics. Even though my cuts are pretty straight and even, they look a little irregular. From 5 feet away the dash looks fine. What are your thoughts? What did you do? At this point I'm thinking of trying a different covering or at least getting another piece of the FFR stuff and having another go at it.

Chris.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
The ends: You could get some black vinyl door edge guard from AutoZone, etc. and slide that over the bottom edge to finish it. It's flexible so it would bend on the curve but I don't know how hard it would be to apply.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Chris:

I didn't use the vinyl from FFR because of the padding. I used marine vinyl from the local material store and I like the result. I agree with what DMW said, you could try some vinyl door edge guard.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of door edge guard stuff, I'm not sure I would like that look any better than what I have now. I kind of like a little padding around the gauges and switches, it may be that I'll have to get something like your vinyl Bob and some very thin foam to put underneath it. At least that way I could avoid the puffy edges like with the FFR stuff. Did you go to somewhere like a JoAnne Fabrics for the vinyl?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
I used the 3M Super Adhesive (number 77 I think) and just glued all the edges under. I think it looks fine - plus I have the underdash support piece, but I forgot where I got it - maybe FF Metal?

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
I bought the vinyl from FinishLine. Used 1/8" padding, I like the look.

Posi.........................

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Chris:

Did you go to somewhere like a JoAnne Fabrics for the vinyl?
I got it from Hancock Fabrics, but JoAnn's has the same thing. It is called "Marine" vinyl.

As an aside, I am having a little trouble with the edges holding. Make certain you use good glue and get good coverage on the edges!

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well guys, I pulled all the vinyl off tonight. I'm starting over. Posi, where did you get that 1/8" padding? I think I'm going the separate vinyl/leather and padding underneat route.

I may decide to go the original route with no padding. We'll see.

BTW, if you think that Super 90 and vinyl stuff is a pain in the ass to put on, you should try taking it off. Took me about 3 hours of solid work scrubbing with a coarse terry cloth wash cloth and a variety of different solvents to get back to where I was yesterday. Too bad that shit does not hold onto the stuff you want it to as well as the stuff you don't want it to! Send me posts detailing your suppliers for vinyl and padding and anything you think I may need for this phase....

Thanks,

Chris.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I wrapped my vinyl around the back and corners by cutting small slits up to about 1/4" from the edge. Wrap them around the back, and tack down with weldwood contact cement. The slices let you get nice smooth corners with a finished edge. Stop cutting just short of the dash edge so the cuts are not visible from the front or sides.

Hope this helps. My second try at the dash came out much better than my first attempt. I ditched the FFR vinyl and got some heavy marine vinyl with a nice leater like texture to it. Good luck

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Cwood: I have the FFR vinyl dash covering, never used it and it's still rolled up.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RRR, thanks but I'm going to go the marine vinyl with 1/8" pad underneath and see how that goes. I'll let you know if I need to fall back on the FFR material.

Thanks everyone, as usual.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Here's the passenger end of my dash with the standard FFR padded leather covering wrapped around the edge and glued with 3M Super 99.

·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Walt, that looks great, I could swear it looks not as thick as the stuff I had from FFR. Maybe just my imagination.

Thanks,

Chris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts