Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, it looks like I'll be moving out there in May if I can get my act together.

I'm planning on heading out there Apr. 9th - 13th with the goal of renting a house. What are some neighborhoods I should look in?

I'm going to school in Avondale and there are plenty of houses to rent there but they are in developments and not really neighborhoods. I still may rent there beacuse of the short commute, community pools and low cost.

I'm willing to have a 30 minute commute to school if it means I can walk (or have a short drive) to a downtown with a bunch of restaurants\bars\shops within walking distance.

Also I looked at the AZ dmv website and I see they have a Vehicle License tax. How do they determine the value of FFR's? That could work out to be a lot of $$$$. Plus do I have to pay this for my daily driver as well? Kind of stinks since I've already paid sales tax on both vehicles here in NJ.

Also anyone go through the process of titling and registering an out of state ffr roadster? Do we have to go through emissions inspection? Is it based on year of engine?

And lastly are there any insurance companies out there that have unlimited mileage policies? In NJ every agency limits the miles to 2500 or 3000.

Thanks guys!

Matt

·
Male Member
1,873 Posts
Matt, no emmisions. Titled as a '65. About $10 a year. Downtown Glendale is probably the closest place to walk to those things. MikieC. knows that area. NE Classic (vendor here), has a 6K limit.

·
5,206 Posts
Matt,

The vehicle license tax is the same as property tax or excise tax that is levied in most states. Here in AZ it is combined with the registration. If your vehicle gets registered as a 1965 then the tax is about $13.00. The tax is computed by the cost of the vehicle, then depreciated every year for 13 years. Yes, you will pay this for your daily driver. If your FFR is not registered as a 1965 see if they will re-title it for you.

Forget about neighborhoods from the east coast. Most everything new here is a development. These are neighborhoods, just get to know your neighbors as soon as you move in. It could be tough as most people stay indoors, especially in the summer.

I really do not kow much about the Avondale area. Best bet is to rent for the short term and look around for an area you like and can afford.

What school are you going to?

Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to Universal Technical Institute of all places. Checked it out in January. Liked the school and Phoenix in general. Plus I can drive the cobra year round (hardtop and AC). I know the driving is confined to early morning or late night during the summer. No problemo - better than not being able to drive the car at all for the winter!!!

I guess the trick is to have them re-title the car as a 1965. Nothing I can do about the daily driver it's a 2004. I use Northeast classic I didn't know they could up the mileage to 6k. Maybe that's not an option in NJ?

I could certainly live in the avondale area - new houses, close to shcool, pools etc. but was just checking to see if there were any downtown type areas.

Is Tempe to much of a college town?

I've also heard chandler is up and coming, but I guess most of the building is new developments as well.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions so bear with me.

Matt

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Matt...I may have a house to rent if you are interested! I live in Litchfield Park and it is directly above Avondale. Let me know.

Ted

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted,

PM sent.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts