Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has everyone done with their battery? Did you put it in the trunk and where in the trunk did you put it? Did anyone drop the trunk floor to put it on the side? Any help would be appreciated and some pictures would be even better. Also, what limit straps did everyone use now that the others seem to be to short? Are they really needed when installing the bar from the frame mount looks like it will stop the downward travel of the axle.
Thanks,
Todd

[ October 30, 2002, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Todd Baumann ]

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Mine's in the trunk. I didn't install limit strapes at first, but later just added the drivers side from a pick up truck gate.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would imagine, the frame/panhard bar support leg was not designed to take the loads that the axle would put on it if no limiting straps were used. I would definitely use limiting straps.

craig

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
My battery is under the trunk floor behind the driver. Fits nice and snug and is removeable from the top, through an access panel in the floor. I used the stock limit straps but I drilled a new upper mounting hole so the straps get tight just before the shock reaches full extension.

Happy motoring

·
FFCobra Fanatic
933 Posts
I put the battery on the pass. footbox top with a little reinforcing or breeze makes a cool mount. No limit straps and I don't know of anyone using them, don't forget you now have coilovers.

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
I've decided to go with a Dyna-Batt but didn't want to give up even that much space from the trunk area. As soon as my welder is available I will be lowering the rear deck 3" and add more storage beneath that (where I can) so that I can gain additional space. Cobra Earl is my hero!

The battery will go directly under the 2 x 3 tubing member, behind the driver and against the D/S 2 x 3 angled tube member. The cover will have a means to secure the battery so it can't shift (instead of hold downs) and access will be through a hinged latch beneath the carpet.

From my design layout, it looks like everything will work okay. My fallback is to locate the Dyna-Batt over the passenger footbox.

Hank J.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
949 Posts
Like Hank I will be using the DynaBat. My car is built and has the std hanging battery tray. I didn't want to give up any trunk space. By using the DynaBat I just trim down the battery tray hanging rods to 3 1/2" and lay the battery on it's side( it's a dry cell). This will allow plenty of room for the cross member.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
Going with Cobra Earls trunk mod to get more space. It moves the Battery left a bit and hides it under the trunk floor with access from the trunk. I have installed the FFR straps but will evaluate their function as I get further along
TEc

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Skip the Dyna-batt. It's just a rebadged (and repriced!) Hawker Genesis G16EP / Odyssey PC 680. See the Corral link here .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.