Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered a small leak in my crawlspace, which I fixed. There is a small amout of mold on a few of the surrounding floor joists that I would like to get rid of. Does anyone know how to get rid of the mold now that the source has been removed.

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Clorox or any type of bleach removes mold. Spray it on and let it sit for 5 minutes, then wipe off. The mold will die.

·
4,083 Posts
Steve,
If it's black mold, make sure you wear a breathing mask with filtration. Black mold is the toxic stuff. The grey and green types aren't so bad. I agree with the straight Clorox, but don't wipe it off.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Mold needs three things to live & grow. A food source (the wood floor joist), moisture (the water leak) & heat. Take any one away and it dies. If you fixed the leak, you should be okay!

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Just because it is black doesnt mean it is the "toxic" kind. My cousin owns a mold removal business and said a few yearsa back to me that the "bad" mold isnt that bad and that some people have horrible reactions to it.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Steve,

The Clorox will kill it. Spray or wipe on several times...keep the bleach away from your skin. Maybe not bad to go back over it with some Kilz primer and some paint just to make sure it's gone.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
Drew is spot on, I had a similar experience and the mold remediation guy said the same thing
spray it 1 part bleach 3 parts water..seal it in with kilz to take care of any remaining mold spores

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
The bleach is to kill the spores. You may or may not have discoloration of the wood left over. the Kilz is to seal the wood to prevent to food source from being available, as well as give you a visual point of reference to see if it comes back next time you have a leak.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
"bad" mold isnt that bad and that some people have horrible reactions to it.

Umm, horrible reaction? Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad... ;)

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Supposedly not many people react to it at all...and some react violently, hence the reason everyone is scared of mold.
In my humble opinion the "scare" is caused by a cottage industry, and others, that profits by the removal of mold. Remember the asbestos scare and the billions of dollars spent to remove asbestos from our schools, etc.? Can anybody name one person that has asbestosis because they went to a school that had asbestos floor tiles?

Nearly all reported cases of asbestosis were found in shipyard workers from the WWII era where they were confined in small quarters for long periods of time (without proper protection) when installing asbestos insulation, etc.

·
Senior Charter Member
552 Posts
Asbestos "scare"??? My mother-in-law died from mesothelioma which she got from washing her husbands clothes (who worked at Johns-Manville). Now my brother-in-law has it also.

When floor tiles containing asbestos are buffed they release small amounts of asbestos into the air - where they stay suspended longer than dust.

Black mold has killed people and ruined the health of others.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
SnappyT:

I am sorry for your loss. It is not my intention to insinuate that there are not serious illnesses related to asbestos or mold. Your personal experience is a real life indicator of that.

Mesothelioma is an example of my point. The number of reported cases annually is small. Asbestos exposure at work is reported in about 80 percent of all cases. As in the case of your mother-in-law, family members and others living with asbestos workers have an increased risk of developing mesothelioma.

In my opinion the number of people affected by these conditions does not warrant the scope of goverment reaction to it. These illnesses are rare. Follow the money and I think you will find that it does not point to the victims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts