Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a list of mods and parts I plan to use/do.

SAI
Wilwood brakes, levy's
Wilwood pedals, fortes
Hidden battery
Enlarged trunk, leaving bars in place to make false floor for tools.
VPM front bar
Pusher fans
Moving the driver footbox bar up and out
17 inch wheels
Footbox blower vents
My engine is a 351w and will use a levy t5.

Thats all I can remember atm since I cant find my parts list, and my brain is running on pizza and oreos. My question is which mods should I mockup on the frame to do whatever fitting, grinding, cutting, and welding. I want to get these all done before I send my frame for its color. All I could think to do is:

Footbox mod obviously
SAI mod, i heard it might need some trimming on the frame.
VPM bar

Edit: Also want to drop and rake the roll bars but not sure were to even start with that one.

[ October 03, 2007, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Mike_R ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I did most of what you have listed.

Also I welded in ground tabs. One at each corner and one by each motor mount. I also put two tabs behind the dash for grounding. I mocked up motor and tranny then narrowed the tranny tunnel to help line up the seats a little straighter. (This does require cutting new cockpit alum around the tunnel.)

If you are using the Shell Valley type hood hinge you will need to move the top radiator support to the rear by about 1". I also welded a brace for a passenger grab bar behind the dash.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
144 Posts
any change on the hieght of the roll bars will change the angle of the rear bar,,,careful
I would get in your grinder and smooth the wields under all the sheet metal (like the floors)
and even pre-fit the sheet metal (with clecos)before painting/coating,,,,saves the scratches

·
Senior Charter Member
1,028 Posts
Here is a list of modifications I plan to do.

Slotted motor and transmission mount holes for adjusting the sidepipes
Motor mount reinforcing gussets
Welded nuts for the master cylinder
Round tube inside rust preventative coating
Welded ground studs
Tow hooks front and rear
Mounts for Miata front sway bar
Driver’s crash bar relocated (Mark II)
Midshift tunnel mod
Pedal box brace
Passenger grab bar brace
Touring trunk mod
Welded driveshaft hoop mounting plates
Relocated roll bar diagonal tube mounts (Shortened roll bar)
Under door crash protection (Mark II)
5th point safety harness mounting plate
4 welded H-Belt mounting plates to replace the 2 Y-Belt plates (Mark II)
Dead pedal mount
Additional firewall support
Move dash hoop forward one inch
Mounting plates for Miata seat tracks
Cut off mounting boss for donor pedal
Mounting plates for the emergency brake
Move the top radiator support to the rear 1” to accommodate the Shell Valley hinges
315 tire width mod (Mark II)

John Minton FFR4174

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
I tried to do as many mods as I could think of before coating (POR-15 w/ Hammered Black topcoat) but I still end up grinding off the finish, cutting and welding different areas. It's impossible to do them all unless you mock up the entire car, make your modifications, disassemble and paint/powder coat. I simply touch mine up with POR and paint after I'm done. It blends in very well and most places you'll never see it anyway.

Remember that if you try to do it all now there are bound to be some things you have to cut off and reposition later. There are just too many things to consider that might be in the way later.

HTH

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure glad pathfinder posted that list. Made me remember some mods I forgot. I am very tempted to mock up the entire car but not sure yet.

And can someone remind me the advantage to moving the dash hoop, I remember reading about it but cant remember why.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Mike_R,

That is one hell of a lot of work to do a full mock up. How are you planning on coating the frame? Paint or powdercoat? Either can be touched up. Are you building a show car or trailer queen? Most of the frame his hidden or hard to view, so unless it is show only, I would not worry or put too much effort into a perfect coating on your frame.

I will say, having a list of all the mods you want to do is a great idea. It will help in organizing your build and allow you to plan things to minimize rework.

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its going to be wet black powdercoat. Got a hook up on powdercoating and all I have to do is pay for the powder. I just want to keep the touchup to a minimum. The car is going to be my nights and weekend car. No covered parking at work and lots of trees, so not driving it there.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Originally posted by Mike_R:
And can someone remind me the advantage to moving the dash hoop, I remember reading about it but cant remember why.
It looks more original and it keeps the gauges from glarring off the windshield at night.
What about the dropped butt mod?nows a good time to do it.

·
Delivered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Nick, I found 1 or 2 posts about it, saying move it an inch I think. I guess it wont affect the gauge depth.

I'm torn on the drop butt mod. I kind of like the perky butt, but on the other hand I dont like seeing the gas tank, or the skyscraper roll bar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts