Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rod Tops Convertible Top with Quarter Windows for my Mk4 Roadster

OK, I have posted before that I liked the premium top that FFR sells. However, there were two options that I would like to see with it. One was a zip out back window to increase air flow and decrease buffeting inside the cockpit at speed and the other was quarter windows to increase visibility.

Prior to buying the top from FFR I contacted Chad Draper, President and Sales Engineer of Rod Tops. They could do the quarter windows but not the zip out back window. Cost would be $150 for both quarter windows. Well, during the last sale FFR had I bought the premium top and contacted both Rod Tops and FFR to coordinate the change I wanted. If anyone is interested you can order your top from FFR and just contact Chad at Rod Tops for this modification.

I then worked up a modified picture of Dave Smith’s Mk4, from the open house in 2010 while still in silver, with the premium top and my concept of what the windows would look like. Chad agreed that in concept that was also what he was thinking.

Dave Smith’s Mk4 at the 2010 Open House at FFR:

My concept picture:

Dave Smith’s Mk4

My concept:

I sent these pictures off to Chad at Rod Tops and he said I was inline with what they were going to do. Chad said he would send me some pictures of the top being made.

George

To continue in the next post

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are pictures of my Rod Top being made:

This is the template they made for the quarter windows:

During construction:

George

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the box the top and related parts came in

On one side of the box are the side curtains in a canvas bag

Then I pulled out the top packaged in a long canvas bag

Unrolling the top

So, here it is ready to mount onto my car when it’s done.

The top was very easy to re-roll and put back into the bag.

Now, I can’t wait to finish the car this winter. Yes, it will be this winter unless our house sells. I want the house to sell and I don’t want it to sell, but that is another story.

George

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nice touch George, those quarter windows sure will improve visibility. Too bad Factory Five didn't do that as part of their original design. I really really like the look of the new premium top.

Keep us posted on the installation...with lots of pics!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kool:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

sharkx, more pictures if you get a chance. How do you like it?

George

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have considered Mr. Bruce's LeMans top with opening back window.

Chad at Rod Tops now will do a zip out back window for this soft top.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.