Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with 2bking about his footbox mod plans. He said he was more than happy to share the plans, but also to check the forum as some people had considered making them and selling the required panels (as it does require some bending tools). I believe he said Rus Thompson might be interested in making them, but there are likely others too.

If there is anyone out there considering selling the modified aluminum panels as a stand alone kit you can count me as a customer. I'm sure there will be others interested as well.

My MKIV complete kit should ship this week and I'll be starting my build thread soon. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Colin

·
Master of my Build
2,033 Posts
Not to crash the vendors, but enjoy the build and make your own mod. buying and bending aluminum is easy. Have fun and enjoy the rewards.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Am working on using the top half of the Coyote sheet metal attached to the bottom half of the non-Coyote sheet metal to make my foot well. Have cut a piece of triangle sheet with tabs to connect the two halves.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I did Kevin's method. very simple and looks great. plenty of room for feet AND headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I did Kevin's method. very simple and looks great. plenty of room for feet AND headers.
Nice, your first so its your method:) Have the filler piece cut. Did you split the main panels at the line where the front of the foot box bends back?

·
8,350 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to crash the vendors, but enjoy the build and make your own mod. buying and bending aluminum is easy. Have fun and enjoy the rewards.
Thanks for the input. I am definitely willing to try and tackle it myself, just trying to strike a balance between the fun of doing it yourself and the time actually required to do all the little things that add up. My biggest fear for the build isn't that any particular part will be impossible to do "in-house" , but that the complete build time will stretch out far beyond the 2 year build window that I'd like to stay within. I'm doing the build with my dad who is lucky enough to get out of Arizona during the summers, but that also means 5 less months of build time per year (although I'm sure I'll end of doing some work while he is gone).

Which reminds me I need to start my build thread.

Colin

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I expect these things are never done but hope to have a go-cart by late this month. Car arrived on the evening of 2/7/2014. Been working alone but have not been killing myself or living in the garage. Limit myself to 2.5 hours a day if I work on it, more on a Saturday if I am home & no after dinner work.

Waiting on back ordered parts, worse was rear axle, wasted quite a bit of time as did it being too cold to work in the garage on occasion.

Have no control over the body work but hope it comes along not too far after the chassis is finished.

·
Registered
385 Posts
going on just over two years here! summers are too short and winters are too cold in New England to live in the garage.
Electrical is a little intimidating but I tend to overthink everything. just slow down, breathe and read the forum....the answers are here.

I incorporated the 'triangle' into the bottom piece, one less edge to rivet. here is a pic before bending

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
going on just over two years here! summers are too short and winters are too cold in New England to live in the garage.
Electrical is a little intimidating but I tend to overthink everything. just slow down, breathe and read the forum....the answers are here.

I incorporated the 'triangle' into the bottom piece, one less edge to rivet. here is a pic before bending
Pretty sure this is going to be what I'm doing over the weekend!

Thanks for the idea if building the triangle into the bottom piece.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am late to the game here but just wanted to say that 2bking's design worked beautifully on my coyote/coupe build. The only change I made from his design was putting a 45 degree bend in the front in stead of the radius bend. I just didn't have a good way to do the radius bend. I also made a little change on the passenger side to give a little more room for those wide heads.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am late to the game here but just wanted to say that 2bking's design worked beautifully on my coyote/coupe build. The only change I made from his design was putting a 45 degree bend in the front in stead of the radius bend. I just didn't have a good way to do the radius bend. I also made a little change on the passenger side to give a little more room for those wide heads.
I'm shopping around town to get some quotes on getting the 3 panels from King's design created. I didn't know that there was a need to modify the passenger side too. Is this necessary, or are you just building in a generous 'fudge factor'?

Has anyone had panels fabricated by a sheet metal shop? I was fairly surprised at the cost estimate that came back in the $200/panel range.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Coyote Cobra IV DS/PS Foot boxes

Guys - I'm relatively new and have been reading as much as possible, watching you tube and studying others build posts.

I'm building a Cobra IV, coyote, ps, hydro-brakes and hyd clutch and am at a stage now where I need to be thinking about the DS foot box. I've already installed the PS foot box so I'm hoping I'm not too late with my concerns.

I seen some posted pics on the PS that look to be clearances for the PS head of the coyote engine. Is this absolutely required or a nice mod for ease of fit, maintenance, etc?

I have the same type of concerns on the DS foot box. What issues will I have if I build the kit as supplied by Factory Five?

I understand the interior widening of the foot boxes for comfort.....I'm really concerned about interferences with the engine and headers.

I've currently got the PS foot box entirely assembled with no mods, and the front panel on the DS along with the steering bearings and shaft assembly installed. Am currently waiting for my pedal assembly to come back from Forte's with the Hydroboost mods before resuming any more work in the DS foot box area.

I'd appreciate feedback or reference builds and pic's if you have any. I'm taking advantage of everyone else s experience obviously.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What issues will I have if I build the kit as supplied by Factory Five?
corvettebert,

You can build it with kit supplied materials and everything will fit but at the DS foot box the engine head will rub and pedal room is marginal. Have you had the engine in the frame? With the engine in the frame and the DS panel clecoed on, it became apparent to me I wasn't going to like driving it with the Spartan pedal room. I couldn't get my tennis shoe between the brake pedal and sheet metal. I'm using the Stainless Headers and they couldn't be installed without removing the studs in the heads. If you are using J-pipes, the header issues may not be a concern to you.

The mod engine sheet metal FF supplies will require extra fasteners to keep it off the back corner of the Coyote DS head. Some use a carriage bolt to draw it away from the engine and cut the bottom of the panel to gain foot room.

The mods you see in the posts here are addressing these issues, mainly foot box room. I widen the PS box and trimmed the upper corner for access to the header bolts.

I have a thread going looking for interest in a group buy for the sheet metal here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
corvettebert,

You can build it with kit supplied materials and everything will fit but at the DS foot box the engine head will rub and pedal room is marginal. Have you had the engine in the frame? With the engine in the frame and the DS panel clecoed on, it became apparent to me I wasn't going to like driving it with the Spartan pedal room. I couldn't get my tennis shoe between the brake pedal and sheet metal. I'm using the Stainless Headers and they couldn't be installed without removing the studs in the heads. If you are using J-pipes, the header issues may not be a concern to you.

The mod engine sheet metal FF supplies will require extra fasteners to keep it off the back corner of the Coyote DS head. Some use a carriage bolt to draw it away from the engine and cut the bottom of the panel to gain foot room.

The mods you see in the posts here are addressing these issues, mainly foot box room. I widen the PS box and trimmed the upper corner for access to the header bolts.

I have a thread going looking for interest in a group buy for the sheet metal here.
bbking - No I haven't had engine in yet...still at builders. I definitely intent to widen the boxes for comfort. It also sounds like I may have made an error in riveting and sealing the top half of the DS front footbox panel already.

How close are you to getting the 8 folks to sign up for the sheet metal mods on the DS? I'm in if you need me to seal the deal....let me know. Is the clearance mod on the PS required for the coyote as well? Lastly - I'm planning on going with the long tube headers as well so I will be looking at your build carefully. I'm very concerned about the engine and header clearance and the heat with the headers being so darn close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those of us choosing to modify the existing panel, this is what I did.

I basically split the panel within a couple of inches from the front all the way towards the back, than I straightened the bend in the bottom panel and then "massaged" the lower part of the panel out toward the engine compartment, fabricated a piece to fill the gap, trimmed the bottom to match the main frame tube, assembled the pieces than after powder coating riveted the panel in place.

It wasn't too difficult, fits well, clears the head and the headers and adds much needed room to the foot box.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did something similar. Used the existing panels but made sure to fasten to the small square tube portion of the frame in order to get enough head and header clearance. After doing this, I had to make a new top cover. Did it with a few bends and 2 pieces. The foot box mod near the pedal is shown here before and after carpeting, but I have plenty of room with my size 12 foot.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts