Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've had a similar problem to others i've seen on the forum that my shifter wants to pop out of gears 1, 3, and 5, due to the rubber dust boot on the shifter. I want to switch the rubber boot out for a leather one I bought online however, I can't seem to get the top off of the shaft. There are two holes on the underside of the shifter ball but I can't seem to find any Allen that fits in them. Is there a way to remove the top ball off of the shifter shaft? the leather cover I bought cannot be stretch over the bottom of the shifter like I did with the rubber boot.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think the top half unscrews. I might be wrong. I recall that the factory shifter came apart.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Both pieces come off, but get the black part off just enough to get it to spin, the the lower portion should spin too. Think of it like when you have two jamb nuts on a threaded rod, hard to spin both, but easy once there’s space between them

·
Registered
626 Posts
I you want a larger shift ball Tremec used to offer a free ball when you registered your trans with them. They offered at the time a choice of 2 colors I believe. The ball is larger and fills my hand better than the FFR unit. The Tremec ball came with I believe 5 adapters, you choose the adapter that fits the thread on the shift lever then insert it in the ball and screw it to the lever.
JR

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Breeze sells a larger shift knob as well. I picked up one of the last ones engraved with the cobra emblem before he stopped offering them

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ACCLR8tor where did you get the leather boot?
Haven't got it installed yet. I found the link on another thread, it's cheap so if you don't like it not a big loss.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I you want a larger shift ball Tremec used to offer a free ball when you registered your trans with them. They offered at the time a choice of 2 colors I believe. The ball is larger and fills my hand better than the FFR unit. The Tremec ball came with I believe 5 adapters, you choose the adapter that fits the thread on the shift lever then insert it in the ball and screw it to the lever.
JR
I did not get that offer from them.
I got the rubber boot off and test fit the leather boot. While the leather is much better, I have found out that part of my problem is the metal ring that holds the boot to the trans tunnel. The shifter rod still hits the metal ring going into forward gears(but especially third). I can't move the ring further back either or I have the same problem only with the aft gears. I am using a TKX, not sure if it has a longer through than other trans or if other people have run into this issue. A new shifter rod may be needed with a little less of an angle. I could possibly fabricate a adapter piece to raise the rod up a little as well.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Any chance your transmission is installed too low? How is your pinion angle?
The geometry of the shifter reduces the clearance at the tunnel opening with the transmission lower.
A more expensive solution is a short shifter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any chance your transmission is installed too low? How is your pinion angle?
The geometry of the shifter reduces the clearance at the tunnel opening with the transmission lower.
A more expensive solution is a short shifter.
Norm,
That's a good idea, I will check and see how much adjustment I have to raise the trans.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took me a while to get around to it but I jacked up the car and tried to see if I could adjust the upper arm to raise the transmission that way. the upper arm seems too close to the end of its threading though so I can't raise it that way.

Are guys raising the trans by putting some washers under the mount or A frame?

·
Charter Member
1,751 Posts
I put mine under the A frame. I used polyurethane engine and transmission mounts so mine was a little thinner than stock so my setup need a few more washers than say a rubber mount. Once you get the height nailed down you can always make shims out of pipe and delete the washers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts