Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I approach time to install the body on my mk4, a question regarding the side pipes. The pipes have been attached to the body (although not with both bolts below the frame) for go-cart testing. Is it possible/recommended to install the body with them on maybe just loosening the ball joints a little? If not does anybody have a preferred method of disconnecting them (ball joint vs. below ball joint)? Lastly, either way it looks like tightening the bolts back up (especially the ball joint) will be very difficult with the body on any experience that would save hours of frustration would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I’m pretty sure you’ll need to take them off. The bolts are pretty easy to reach from under the body

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,879 Posts
I have never tried installing the body w/ the pipes on so not absolutely sure of this. The body sides need to be pulled out to clear the door hinges as it is lowered. Also the bottom most part of the body is an approximately 2 inch flange. So after clearing the hinges you need about 2 inches clearance outside of the frame under the door. 'Maybe' there is 2 inches clearance between the inside of the pipes and the outside of the frame but I doubt it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tried to do it and was unable but that is with the traditional side pipe to header mount, before they came out with the ball flange. Perhaps that gives you some more wiggle room, but I wouldn’t think a lot, especially near the pipe exit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like a "no" which is what I thought. I'm going to plan on taking them off but when I loosen up the ball flange I'll see how far out they can swing and see if I want to try. Sounds like from what Chewy said it won't be that big a deal reconnecting them anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Yes it's no issues taking them on and off.

My experience is you have to have the pipes off.

Anyway the precut space for them will not be good enough you will have to adjust those. You will have take the pipes off to adjust that so the body is not touching the pipes.

Mock up everything before you bolt the pipes back in. It will save some work. Then you can see how you will need to adjust that space.

Don't get carried away removing material. Do enough to get the pipes on and not touching or rattling. Let the body guy do the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Also what type of plating is on the hardware?

I learned the hard way. The polished hardware that came with my exhaust system needed a anti seize (lithium).

I ran it intially and a couple bolts seized up and I had to heat and tourqe and break them off. I put the anti seize and had no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts