Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted my MKIII roadster driver seat. Bolted in my Simpson Belts, sat in the seat and hooked the belts up. I found that one tab (LEFT) for the shoulder mount is directly center behind the stock lowback seat, the right tab is positioned off to the right to far it seems. When I tighted up the shoulder belts the left side tightens up nice and tight and the right side is feeling some what loose and out of position. I moved the right shoulder harness over and shared the left seatbelt mounting tab. Now both shoulder harnesses come off the same tab which lands in the center behind the seat. Now both shoulder belts cinch up tight and it feels good and snug. Question: Has anyone else had this problem on their MKIII. Is it ok to share the single tab to mount the shoulder harnesses. Will require me to switch over to a mono-slot behind the seat to allow both shoulder belts to come thourgh the rear cockpit aluminum. Opinions suggestions please.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,964 Posts
Mine are the same way. The MKII's had a single Y shoulder belt that probably was a better solution than the MKIII's H style. I ask this question a week ago and was told to live with it.

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Mine ended up being a little off to the side also. Never noticed while driving only when looking at them. Guess you could always block off the original cut outs and make new ones that centered the belts better. After all most times this is covered in carpet and would'nt be seen.

·
4,342 Posts
On a similar note, I have the high back Kirkeys, mounted directly to the floor. The misalignment gets magnified with this combination. I'm going to have to cut new openings for the belts to pass through them as they do not line up horizontaly or verticaly with the cut outs in the rear wall. So much so verticaly that it creates a serious chafe situation that would wear through the shoulder harness in no time.

·
Senior Charter Member
590 Posts
Mine certainly needed some adjusting to get them right, but seem comfy enough. I wouldn'be happy that you are putting twice the load through one mounting that it was designed for, nor the angle of attack, which ought to be from the vertical as near as possible.

I would also be worried that the aluminium might try to cut through the belt in an accident as the angles could be all wrong.

Life saving stuff this, I would leave as designed I think!

Ian

·
Junior Charter Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone who replied here. This is serious stuff. Belts are there for a reason. My concern with the right hand shoulder harness was that I can't seem to get it to snug up tight on me. I'm average size I would think 5'10 175lbs and it just feels wrong. I can wiggle my right shoulder around even when the right shoulder harness is pulled tight. It's because of the location of the shoulder harness mounting tabs. I might be missing something and I'll look at it again tomorrow night. I don't feel real comfortable with attaching both shoulder harnesses to one belt mounting tab but boy it just feels right doing it that way. I'll look at this again tomorrow night and shoot a few photos.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,964 Posts
What you could do...bolt a large steel bar between the tabs on the frame and them relocate the belt mounting points exactly where you want them on the bar. That would mean cutting new slots through the rear aluminum.

Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Greg,

Yep that exactly the direction I was thinking of going at this point. Will see, I'm going to look at this again tonight. THX

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Sound like a good(and safe) solution.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
Do you think Greg's idea would be able to work for Jim's vertical problem also? If you made the bar a little taller it would help raise the mounting, but would that hurt the strength of the mounting? I have the Kirkey drag seats, very simular to the road race seats, so that's why I'm woundering.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem with the belts not lining up with the center of the seat. I had mounted my seats pointed straight forward. When I put the body and doors on, my shoulder hit the door. To correct this, I remounted the seats parallel to the trans tunnel. My shoulder does not hit the door. The seat belts are perfectly centered with the back of the seat, and my legs are lined up with the pedals. It looks a little strange with the seats not pointing directly forward, but it is very comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts