Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read though as many posts as I can find and still can't find a clear answer. WIll a 315/35-17 tire fit on the rear of a MkII car? I have 10.5" rims and they seem to clear the 3 link suspension points and shocks, etc (have 6.84 back spacing on rims), just not sure how much the 315/35-17 will overlap the 10.5" rim. I'm running 275/40-17 on front so the hight should be the same on both tires, would just be the width. Has anyone have a definitive answer? I'm assume no frame or aluminum modifications needed.

· Not a waxer
12,112 Posts
I'm assume no frame or aluminum modifications needed.
Actually a Mk2 DOES require some mods to the aluminum and chassis to accommodate 315s, primarily the area ahead of the wheels at the rear of the cockpit. You should be able to turn up some info by searching the site for “315 mod.”

Jeff

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually a Mk2 DOES require some mods to the aluminum and chassis to accommodate 315s, primarily the area ahead of the wheels at the rear of the cockpit. You should be able to turn up some info by searching the site for “315 mod.”

Jeff
Thanks, I looked at all these and still no real consensus as some people did some, others did all and some did none, also I have a challenge car and the frame is slightly different than that of the road version as we don't have the same cross bars and the 2x3 as already cut and angled. I will mount the tires and see.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony, I had to do some massaging of the trunk aluminum panels to keep the tires from rubbing. Once done I took a short ride around a left anright corner pretty fast to be sure nothing was rubbing.
Thanks Steve, so i assume you did not do anything except massage the trunk aluminum panels ?

· Registered
14 Posts
That was all I had to do, but you have to check carefully for other areas. Once I was clear of everything I road tested it hard to be sure nothing was rubbing.

I hope the family is well. Y'all need to come visit us at the Spring Meet one of these years.

· Registered
4 Posts
I run 315's on my mark II with three link. 10.5 mustang wheels with Toyo R888s. I run 1/4 spacer with longer wheel studs. Had to do some grinding to clear interference. A larger spacer will more tire into fender. There may be occasional minor tire contact under extreme movement. I run car in many track days and have not had a problem. You can do it!

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there arre no issues with the hoosier R7 315/35-17 on my MkII challenge car, I'm using FR500 SVE 10.5" rims with 6.84 backspacing, i have lots of room. No timing/grinding of anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts