Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have most MK4 builders done for the rear license plate light/holder and the “T” handle spacing on the trunk lid? I’m at that point to cut the lens and slide the plate up into the cut or leave the “T” handle out of the picture and use a popper to open the trunk lid.

· Not a waxer
12,112 Posts
Here is the description of how I did it on Steve's car from my Mk4 bodywork & paint thread:

...When I got to the decklid I was faced with that well known and frequently discussed Mk4 license plate issue! Some guys simply trim the plate to fit but Steve has reservations about that (I suspect he thinks he might be breaking enough laws and doesn't want to give the Bloomington Police yet another excuse to write him up!). With no modifications the plate hangs over the trunk handle like a Backdraft:

I got looking at the light assembly, did some measuring and decided that if I could tuck an uncut plate up under the license lamp hood it would clear. The light bulb holder has a stud to hold the hood and lense that is not centered:

By drilling out the rivets that attach it I could flip it over and move it up 3/8". This put the stud back into the same position in relation to the hood. I drilled the rivets out of the insulator card and moved it upwards 3/8" also:

Next I cut a slot in the back of the lense which will allow the plate to slip up inside the lamp housing and reassembled the unit:

Finally I cut a length of aluminum stock and attached it to the existing mount then drilled holes which will hold the license plate about 1 1/8" higher:

All done! An uncut standard size (12" by 6") license plate now tucks up behind the lamp housing and clears the handle:

After paint:

Several other builders have since done the same.

Good luck,
Jeff

· Registered
938 Posts
Just did the above mentioned mod tonight. Hopefully I am getting my plates tomorrow or the next day (finger's crossed). It took about an hour, mostly because I had to redo it once because I hadn't read the directions as carefully as I should have. But it came out very nice. Here is a picture with an extra trailer plate I had around.

I'll have to see what happens with the real plate I get, but I still had to trim the border of the top of the plate and ever-so-slightly notch the bottom border of the plate for it to fit. I'll do it a bit more carefully on the "real" plates if it needs it, but this was a rough fit

· Registered
2,302 Posts
this is a great tip. Thanks for sharing. I will be attempting this as well in the next couple weeks. Looks like the best option.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the mod yesterday. Worked out good. Thanks for the replys. Great info and easy to follow instructions. Again thanks to you both.

Attachments

· Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,305 Posts
Plate

Looking good!

Mk4

· Registered
418 Posts
I'm also at the body work phase. I was wondering if anyone has done anything different other than modifying the licence plate bracket.
I'm leaning toward leaving it as is and changing the "T" handle latch in favour of another trunk latch mechanism. I'm not as concerned about the period correct look. I'm not really happy with the way "T" handle works anyway.

Gerry

· Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Mikey P - I have a trunk lid made a couple of years ago by Karl Gess (Gess Motorsports - former participating sponsor and vendor here) who used to have a shop that focused on FFR bodywork/paint. He splashed a mold off of a modified trunk lid that he did for a customer, then made 10 - 20 lids before FFR came out with the Mk4. I recently bought a Mk4 lid, so I'm going to sell the Gess lid. It may be better for someone local, though, as shipping will probably be pretty expensive. PM me if you're interested, though, as an alternative to the Mk3 lid or the Mk4 license plate issue.

· Registered
805 Posts
I personally was not a fan of the MK3 rear end. The MKIV sealed the deal with FFR for me. I did the license plate just like Mirose, worked out perfect once I realized the plate was shorting out against the wiring.

· Registered
523 Posts
Did Jeff K's license plate light mod as specified. Worked like a charm and Maryland plates fit without modification. Yeah Jeff!

· Registered
23 Posts
Would two be better than one

I am also at the point of having to do something about the rear plate holder. I inquired at FF about getting another trunk handle mechanism. I was thinking of having two trunk handles located on both sides of the plate and eliminate the one in the middle. Any negatives to doing this.

· Registered
1,150 Posts
I am also at the point of having to do something about the rear plate holder. I inquired at FF about getting another trunk handle mechanism. I was thinking of having two trunk handles located on both sides of the plate and eliminate the one in the middle. Any negatives to doing this.
Ya... It would look dam ugly.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I liked Fred Yarema's idea other than the obvious fact that the plate gets modified (which is illegal up here).

So I figured the best idea would be to combine his idea to JKLeiner's (recognized best practice so far) to come up with what I think may be the natural evolution from those two mods.

I'm not completely done yet. but the gist is:

Bought a chromed license plate holder with no markings on eBay (5$ plus 8$ shipping to Canada)

Plain Quality Heavy Duty Metal License Plate Frame New | eBay

Punched the necessary holes in the middle of the bottom of the frame to host the handle, same as Fred but lower, needing only to shave about a 1/4" notch on the license plate.

Took the plastic glass from the license plate light out to slide underneath the top of the license plate holder, but did not modify any of hte internal components.

Left is to cut the clear plastic, fit new holes to screw the license plate and holder to the support.

The only problem I anticipate is finding some thin rubber to put under the plate at the handle and straigthten the bracket so the gap plate-body is not too visible when you look from above...

Pics to follow.

Note: had to cheat a bit the beak on the trunk is not centered!!!!! Good thing I won't go for stripes.

· FFCobra Craftsman
26,194 Posts
A week or so ago I saw a guy who had trimmed the plate maybe 1/4-5/16 inch off top and bottom and then ground a half moon in the bottom to clear the handle. Not noticeable unless you know to look for it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.