Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the announcement of the red gel coat mean you don't have paint the car as long as you like the impregnated red color?

·
Super Moderator
29,401 Posts
That will be up to you. If the seams are perfect, you can do just that

·
Big Sky Builder
2,633 Posts
It seems highly unlikely the seams will be perfect, but if you were just going to do a track car, you could slap a bunch of stickers on it and go with it.

·
3,874 Posts
No, FFR does not do gel coat paint as a finished product with clear, each time there is a change in the mold they change the color of the gel coat to identify the body in relation to the mold it came from. They have had white, black, gray and maybe another one in there somewhere over the years.
Don

·
Not a waxer
11,906 Posts
They have had white, black, gray and maybe another one in there somewhere over the years.
If you take a trip in the Way Back Machine you'll even find blue ;)

Unless they change materials on the new bodies I don't think the gel coat is UV resistant and would begin to degrade after long term exposure.

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
873 Posts
My MKII is still in grey gelcoat and hasn't degraded at all...still looks as crappy as the day it was new :)

·
Senior Charter Member
1,860 Posts
I thought I read that the "red" bodies seen in the "back lot" weren't the new MK IV bodies?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
If you take a trip in the Way Back Machine you'll even find blue ;)

Unless they change materials on the new bodies I don't think the gel coat is UV resistant and would begin to degrade after long term exposure.

Jeff
My MKII is still in grey gelcoat and hasn't degraded at all...still looks as crappy as the day it was new :)
My MK3 body sat outside for a little over two years and it had started to turn chalky on the trunk and hood before I sent it out for paint.

I thought I read that the "red" bodies seen in the "back lot" weren't the new MK IV bodies?
The FFR MK4 announcement says the new MK4 bodies will be in red gel coat.

"All-new molds and standard red gel-coated body requires less bodywork"

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
No, FFR does not do gel coat paint as a finished product with clear, each time there is a change in the mold they change the color of the gel coat to identify the body in relation to the mold it came from. They have had white, black, gray and maybe another one in there somewhere over the years.
Don
I saw some blue bodies But those were coupe bodies. There is also a number in the body in the top of the trunk opening. That is the real marker for what mold the body is from.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have a Mark II and the body was crappy.The seams sucked ,the doors were worped.FFR should have put out a much better body years ago without charging extra.I did alot of upgrades to the body to improve on the looks.It's a shame it took them this long to produce a body that does'nt take so long to repair before painting.I love my car and I think over all it was a great buy,but the body was one of the worst I,ve seen.Roger

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Does the announcement of the red gel coat mean you don't have paint the car as long as you like the impregnated red color?
The body is better and Dave Smith mentioned the Spec Racers could run the body as is. Gel coat with seams won't look as good as a painted car. I plan to drive mine in Gel coat to sort out the mechanical stuff. I will paint it later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts