Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 35 miles on my just finished MK4 with stock Disc brakes front and rear. The master cylinders are Wilwood without any assist. I have adjusted the bias for maximm front brake pressure and the stopping power is still feeble. Is there a better brake pad that i could be using to improve the stopping distance and reduce peddle effort?

·
Registered
850 Posts
You need to let them seat in a bit.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
I have 35 miles on my just finished MK4 with stock Disc brakes front and rear. The master cylinders are Wilwood without any assist. I have adjusted the bias for maximm front brake pressure and the stopping power is still feeble. Is there a better brake pad that i could be using to improve the stopping distance and reduce peddle effort?
If you have the bias completely to the front, then the rears are doing very little braking. The bias needs to be slight to the rear, as these cars are rear end heavy, and need more rear brakes. Right now you are using only half your brakes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got a set of Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads (haven't tried them yet). The instructions that came with them said proper bedding of the pads was extremely important (per instructions: failure to properly bed the pads could lead to causing the friction material to chunk resulting in bad performance and overheating, which can cause the pads and rotors to glaze). The bedding process recommended is:

1. Brake from 60 mph to 20 mph about 4-6 times.
2. Let brakes cool for about 2-3 minutes while driving.
3. Repeat step 1.
4. Allow the brake pads and discs to cool down to ambient temperature (about 30 minutes or more).

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I adjusted my bias bar about 4 turns favoring the rear brakes. I started with the bias bar set in the middle and the brakes were weak. I can only imagine how bad they would be if they are biased toward the front. Adjust your bias bar to put more pressure on the rear and bed them in. They will require more pressure than power brakes, but will stop well if you put some leg into it. If I ever decide to change pads, I'll put Hawk HPS in the front and HP+ in the rear.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.