Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I straightened out the aluminum piece that is closest to the go pedal and riveted it to the frame brace. I had to trim a little off of the bottom to get it to clear the round tube. I also had to cut to shape the area closest to the transmission tunnel. The piece has a curve to it now, which looks a little out of place in the engine compartment compared to all of the straight lines, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for more foot room. I only wear a size 10, but the footbox is way too small.

I still need to fab up a triangular piece to fill in the void that's left, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Here's some detailed pics.

·
15,282 Posts
Wow! Very nicely done! You'll not be the last to try this method...thanks for pioneering.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks good, nice job. I know I got to that stage and the top of my brake pedal was being depressed by the cross member. Did you have that issue also? Good luck with the rest of your build.

·
15,282 Posts
Even the non-blown 4.6mod engine only clears my footboxes by about 1/4" on each side. I feel Sergio's pain!

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
With 11 1/2's, I'm in! Any other pics for refrence? Do yo think there will be interferance with a Big Block or Mod Motor? Thanks for the heads up!

-SGC

·
2,990 Posts
Looks good. You're way ahead of me so I am taking notes. I am very interested in this mod. Have you tried to fit the engine and trans in yet? If I did this I am a little concerned about how my 4.6 would fit in there. Once you get the engine in could you post some pictures. Thanks for the idea.

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
Jeff,
Feddersen appears to have pushed the panel out to the downward brace which is actually farther inboard than even the MkII stock position.

I'm almost certain your 4.6 wont go in there with this mod unless you make a pocket for the panel for the head to recess into like those of us who did (or are doing) 4.6's in MkIIs.

Here's a pic of an early mock up I did with the DOHC. I know your SOHC won't be as wide at the top but imagine if you took that cardboard panel (representing the inner footbox panel) and pushed it all the way in toward the brace. (Now I'm assuming, and maybe I shouldn't, that the brace running from the trans tunnel to the frame is in the same location on the MkIII as on my MkII)

[ August 10, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Sean Teague ]

·
2,990 Posts
Sean:

Thanks for the heads up. I looked at the pictures on your web site and they are very informative (a pictures worth a thousand words). All I have to say is wow these engines are big. I will have it a little easier since mine is a SOHC but not much. Your mod seems like it will take even more leg room out of the foot box. Does your leg hit the box you built or does your leg fit under it?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I wake up this morning and there's 10 posts!

First off, I'm sure this mod will not work if you have a 4.6 or BB motor. I'm using a 302 (5.0) out of an '87 mustang with Mac shorty headers. I'm not going to permanently rivet the panel in until I test fit the motor.

My pedals fit in the MK3 without any problems. The cross member at the top of the pedal box is a good 1/4" or so away from the brake pedal. Again, I'm using Fox pedals out of an SVO and I've done the brake pedal mod.

As a result of the roadster purchase, I agreed to take my wife on vacation next week. :rolleyes: I won't have a complete update for at least two or three weeks, but I will let everyone know how it worked out as soon as I've tested the design.

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
I believe my leg will actually be under it most of the time, but that may change depending on whether I mount the seats on the floor or on a seat mount that raises the front of the seat (like the Breeze mounts I'm thinking of).

All in all I should have more room (not sure if it's usable) with my converted MKII since I'm only moving the wall in where it has to clear something rather than moving the entire wall in as was done with the MkIII.

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
Originally posted by Feddersen:
As a result of the roadster purchase, I agreed to take my wife on vacation next week. :rolleyes:
Heh, heh. There must be a statistic as to how long a build takes for the single guy vs the married guy. I'm sure the single guys are zooming along. As for me, my wife is working out of town for a couple days which leaves my evenings completely free for a change. Should make some more progress tonight!

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
Confirmed.
this mod will not work on a MKIII using a Modular engine. no way no how.
I also found out that one can install the engine first and then assemble the footboxes around the engine (I just raised the engine and pulled it forward for some space).
same as John, only 1/4" clearance on both sides.
here are a few images:

SERGIO
---------------------
"Project SuperCobra" underway....
2003 SVT Cobra Donor with only 5K miles

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did some very rough measurements and it looks like it's going to be close with the 302 #8 header pipe. I need to put the flywheel/clutch stuff on the motor, mount up the tranny and drop it in before I secure everything. I'll let you know when I get it done, but I'm sure I'll be able to make more leg room.

·
7,097 Posts
Sergio...how does the steering shaft exit the foot box area? That's incredibly tight!

DOH! Never mind..I just looked at Fedderson's pics again!

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
yep,
no problem accessing the spark plugs on the 4.6's
The only problem that I see is if the Driver's side head needs to come out then, the body probably needs to be removed so that one can remove the aluminum to get to the lower head bolts.
But with only 5K miles on the engine, I don't anticipate that happening anytime soon.

SERGIO
(replying from work)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts