Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figure it's time I start one of these.

After saving for nearly two years and getting ready to buy, I found someone who had given up on building their kit near Chicago, Il. It had almost everything I was looking for, and the price was right. After getting quotes from $1,500 to $2,000 to have it shipped, it was time for a road trip.

My father-in-law graciously offered his F-250 and a 15' trailer. We left Atlanta on a friday afternoon and drove until the wee hours of Saturday morning stopping in Lafayette, IN. The next morning, we finished the drive to Chicago:

Obligatory "driving" photo:

All the boxes and parts that are being sold with it:

All loaded up on the 15' trailer pulled by an 05 F-250:

33 hours after we left, we made it back to Atlanta a little after midnight Sunday morning.

The truck got 11.8 mpg over 1,392 miles.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Got the chassis home and ready to start:

First order of business is getting the fiberglass body on the body buck so I can roll it outside and work on the frame:

Next is getting the footbox enlarged and the 3-link upgrade welded on.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The blue paint the previous owner added was chipping and just poor in application. I opted to have the frame stripped and powdercoated black.

Here's the results of the Footbox mod. Basically replaced the 1.5" DOM with 1.5x1.5 square tube on teh lower portion. We recreated the upper curved 1.5" DOM to meet then intersection point. Blue is obviously old...

Here's how much space was gained. Not a lot, but that corner definitely opened up.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Build Plans:

Coyote Motor
Tremec 3650 (05+) or Getrag MT82 Transmission
3-Link rear
Heated seats
Heater
Footbox vents
Radio
High-back seats
17" Halibrands
Body work and paint myself.

Hoping to keep it at or under $20K. So far, it looks obtainable. :evil:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Built the custom bracket for the Coyote drive-by-wire pedal to work with the Mustang brake/clutch. Bent the Mustang pedals 1.5" to the left. They both need a little tweaking.

Cut the brackets for the hydraulic clutch cylinder out of metal and got them mounted.

8.8 rear end rebuilt with new 3.55 gears and Ford trac lock.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Modified the caliper mounting bracets to be inboard and then flipped them to clear the coilovers.

Finished the 3-Link upgrade and got everything mounted.

And lastly, got the gas tank cleaned up and mounted.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Very nice! Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I probably have about 12 hours worth of thinking, measuring, cutting, and trial & error in this pedal set. Got everything mounted up today. Hopefully it will work.

Parts:
Coyote drive-by-wire pedal
SN95 Pedal Box
2005-2009 Pedal Box
3/16" steel plate

I know there is already a Coyote pedal solution but it involves cutting the pedal down which changes the range of motion, plus increases effort. I wanted a solution that keeps the pedal as is.

Here's the Coyote Pedal from Ford:

Obviously the flanges need to be cut off so the inner sheet metal wont interfere. I then decided to build a bracket that would mount to the pedal bracket provided on the Factory Five chassis (right).

The coyote pedal mounts to the upper portion, and the lower portion mounts to the frame. The upper left hand corner is notched for steering shaft clearance.

Here's the bracket mocked up in the chassis.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next, I bolted the pedal in. The pedal bolts to the chassis in numerous places.

To strengthen it, I used aluminum spacers to add mounting points to the 'firewall' where the pedal box attaches. You can also see the notch for the steering shaft. I had to inboard the bearing for the Whitby booster kit. Even with the spacers, it didn't clear.

So that's how I mounted my Coyote pedal. On to the Brake/Clutch...

I started with a SN95 box and built two custom brackets (center top and top left) for the hydraulic clutch actuator from the 05+ box (top). The silver spring on the left side of the box is off the 05+ pedal box. It's the return for the clutch. To get the spring to fit, I cut 1/4" off the bolt on the right hand side, and put it on the left.

Next, the two new brackets get bolted to the SN95 box. The pointed bracket bolts to the outside of the clutch pedal, and the other to the SN95 box. The clutch pedal now compresses the hydraulic actuator when you push the pedal in.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The hydraulic actuator is the same distance and travel as the 05+ box. I just flipped it around due to space constraints. The 05+ transmissions use the master cylinder and brake fluid as their working fluid. I plan on adding a 3rd Wilwood reservoir for the clutch.

Everything together with bent pedals. I'll add a dead pedal bump out and should have a decent space for my size 13's.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Whitby booster bolted up. Like many, I had to inboard the steering shaft bearing.

Also, I flipped the rear coilovers for clearance and cut down the quad shock mounts to use as a mount for the brake lines. I stole it from someone else's pictures here but it's a good idea.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel line routing. Using a Modular motor so it needs a return line. Opted to run them against the passenger side 4" tube.

Re-used as much as I could from the donor parts.

Any critiques, hints, or tips appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work thus far!

Are you using the stock fuel lines? I believe the main line is 5/16 and the return is 1/4?
Correct. I'm using the lines that came with the kit. 5/16 supply and 1/4 return.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
I'm using the stock fuel lines and have no problems. It should work good for you. When you mount your fuel pump (if it's external) make sure it is mounted with the rubber mounts to reduce vibration/noise. I wish mine was quieter...

Your build looks great.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Christmas came early. Hoisting my present from the back of the truck...

All cozy in the garage...

As far as I know, I'm the first one using a donor Coyote. It's out of a wrecked 2012. Hopefully I'll have everything I need by next weekend to put it in the chassis. :001_tt1:

·
Ohio C-car Club
3,686 Posts
Nice find on the motor, it's amazing that people are already trashing the new 5.0 Mustangs.

How many miles on the motor? Did you get the 6-speed with it or you going back to any earlier version of the TR-3650 5-speed? Curious how the new motor will work gearing wise with an older transmission set-up.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts