Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts! I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to the next area to start investigating...

I bought a MK1 2 years ago (fox body donor w/302 EFI) and at the time, turn signals and driver's side lo-beam were not working (lo-beam was only receiving 6 volts). No big deal as I didn't drive much at night (lots of deer 'round here!) and remembered my arm signals from driver's ed in the late '70s :grin2:, so I let it go. BTW, emergency flasher do work.

Now, for no apparent reason, all headlights are out, EXCEPT passenger high-beam when "flashing" the turn signal stalk (also from fox body stang).

I've replaced turn signal stalk, replaced headlight bulbs, checked fuses (but not flasher/relay), removed fuse box and checked connections, checked for visible disconnected wires/harnesses.

Again, looking for recommendations on where to focus next... headlight switch?

Thanks much in advance!
DannyD

Attachments

·
7,825 Posts
Need more info. Is it all donor wiring and switches? If all donor then I would try the light switch. It could also be poor or non functioning grounds.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, thanks so much for reply! There wasn't a lot of historical documentation with vehicle, but fuse box matches diagram of fox body, so assuming all donor. I thought about ground, too... that's why I looked for loose/disconnected wires.

·
Junior Charter Member
204 Posts
headlights

The Fox bodies did not use headlight relays all current ran through switch. Just a FYI

krusty

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Mk1 had 15000 mi. when I bought it. The headlight switch was intermittent. Replaced it with the FF unit which is really a GM part as far as I can tell. I also cleaned up the wiring in the fender well to the headlamps and turn signals. Whoever put this one together wasn't too worried about being neat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a fuse!

Thanks for the replies! Here's what I did:

Cleaned 2 ground connections to frame inside engine bay, replaced some sketchy wiring & inline fuse holder for radiator fan (there is a relay for this, which tested fine), replaced ring terminals to headlight switch, overall cleanup of wire routing (went though a LOT of electrical tape, heat-shrink butt connectors & cable ties!).

Turns out is was a fuse... headlight switch is some sort of 5-pole, 2 position (parking lights/headlights) with an integrated AGC fuse holder. Replaced 30A fuse and I'm back to where I was, which is:

Low beams ok, but no driver-side high beam, no turn signals (hazard flashers work). :no:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Will report back with additional findings in hopes someone else might find this useful.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My early Mark I was donor built and wired. After a couple of years living with the Mustang wiring I did a complete rewire using an Autowire kit. WOW --- almost everything electrical now worked !!! Gotta suggest that you bite the bullet and do a rewire with any of the wiring kits now available. Get the gremlins out of your circuits.
Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
6,731 Posts
Donor Diagrams...

I have a MK-II with an undieted '88 GT harness. I even used the Mustang light switches and tilt steering column. I am not having any issues with the lights. I did run the stock wires to relays, but the stock harness is still sorting out where the juice goes.

I have a Ford shop manual for the '88 model that has wiring diagrams covering all the circuits in the harness.

I may be able to photo some of the pages that show the diagrams and some component detail. PM me with your email address if you think any of that might help get it sorted out.

Regards, Rick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts