Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some photos on here of other MK IV builds that are nearing completion and they have the seat belt bezels on them to help dress up the holes on the rear cockpit bulkhead. The bezels don't seem to conflict with the body.

However, on mine it seems like they would. Is my body sitting too low? Does this look out of place? The driver's side looks worse, but the rolled edge is not symmetrical which is largely cause the two sides to look much different.

I can't move the body left or right due to the shape of the rear bulkhead and how it fits with the body. The body sits down and seals with the rubber lining well all the way around the back and throughout the trunk.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich, I have the seal installed on all the aluminum in the rear of the car including both trunk sides and the rear bulkhead piece which you see in the photo here. The body sits great on it and there are no gaps anywhere.

Are you saying there should be no seal, and that I should adjust the holes in the body at the mounting bolts to raise it? This would give me gaps between the bulb seal and body, no?

Just trying to clarify your post, I appreciate the input.

More1Putts (I wish I had more 1 putts haha), please let me know what you find out.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
I don't want to speak for Rich, but I think the rear bulkhead is not supposed to have any seal on it. Are your body bolts in place or is the body still loose and just sitting on the rest of the bulb seal? If just at rest, then it could be that it's compressing the bulb seal and sitting a bit lower. If bolted in place, you may want to try mounting the belts and bezels to confirm clearance concern, if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want to speak for Rich, but I think the rear bulkhead is not supposed to have any seal on it. Are your body bolts in place or is the body still loose and just sitting on the rest of the bulb seal? If just at rest, then it could be that it's compressing the bulb seal and sitting a bit lower. If bolted in place, you may want to try mounting the belts and bezels to confirm clearance concern, if you haven't done so already.
The body bolts are in place. I won't have any issue with the belt clearance as the only part of the holes covered up is the driver's side top corner. The bezels would definitely hit the body on the driver's side, however I am not sure of the passenger side. The bulb seal is quite compressed all the way around, I just thought that's what its supposed to do, so maybe it could be raised slightly...not sure it would solve the clearance. Thanks.

I assume it is going to be covered with carpet, could you just "fudge" the holes over a bit?
Well moving the holes closer to the center of the car would make the belts even further from center of the seats. Not sure if I want to do that. I may just not be able to use the bezels. Thanks.

I've got the exact problem with my MK3. No problem other than a non symmetrical body and or chassis.
I'm starting to think this is the case. Unless you know that it's like this, you wouldn't notice it at all...would you?

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
No bulb seal across the upper part of the rear bulkhead.

Instead of accentuating the close proximity of the slots with trim rings I just slit the carpet and pass the belts through. That way it just kind of disappears.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Could you just trim the bezel a tad? Since it's tucked so far up and behind the body roll, it might not be obvious.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the purpose of having no bulb seal on that section? For the life of me, I cannot think of any reason.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the purpose of having no bulb seal on that section? For the life of me, I cannot think of any reason.
I put bulb seal on mine-no problems & it just makes sense.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I have that problem on my mk4 and bezels. Same exact deal. I am thinking of just moving the bezel over a small bit. The holes are bigger then the belts so there is a small amount of adjustment there.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
It could also mess with the body fitment. Jeff miller told me he had a car there one time that was not behaving and he was having issues with lining up stuff. Turned out that someone had installed the bulb seal over the back and it was enough to mess with alignment.

·
FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
It could also mess with the body fitment. Jeff miller told me he had a car there one time that was not behaving and he was having issues with lining up stuff. Turned out that someone had installed the bulb seal over the back and it was enough to mess with alignment.
Oh boy, I could have used this thread a couple of weeks ago. It's all together now with bulb seal across the rear bulkhead but man what a pain to line up the doors. Oh well, live and learn.
Cheers
Bill

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
i would have ignored the directions and put it there myself too if I was not told by Jeff ahead of time not to do so. So dont blame yourself. Its not like that page is 100% clear either.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
here is mine

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.