Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a 2001 Mustang Cobra donor for my Mk IV base kit. I am starting the instrument cluster and the base kit manual doesn't show any pictures or go into detail as to how the gauges are connected. The small pod that attaches to the circuit board would seem to be the part that is attached to the firewall rather than the larger pod that held the instrument cluster. The manual seems to indicate that the larger pod is attached to the firewall but that doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm assuming the odometer wires can be cut and spliced so the tach will include that gauge. Does anyone have experience wiring the gauge lights? Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be great as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you have the digital copy of the manual, you can see on page 311 where jumper wires are used from the gauge to the instrument pods. I don't like this method, it's asking for intermittent problems. I would try to solder if you can. Using the mustang donor gauges is cheap, but sort of hokey.

I really think for reliability sake, get aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I built from a base kit as well. It didn't take long to realize I wouldn't be happy with the look of the oem gauges. I went with aftermarket gauges. much less trouble and much more reliability.

·
Snake Farmer
10,319 Posts
I've read a few posts, where builders have just used aftermarket tach's and speedo's to replace the donor ones, (and still use all the other donor gauges). Not sure if this was simply for looks, or if their was a more practical reason, like difficulty wiring them.. ?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Not exactly sure what the question is here. Aftermarket gauges can be used for this configuration without issue.

There are complications with not using the cluster due to pats, and if you don;t use the factory fuel gauge you will get a check engine light and error code, and the evaporative emissions won't work properly.

If you have the computer flashed to remove the PATS, and don't care about the trouble code, which will have no impact on reliability or drive-ability there is no reason to use the cluster at all .

Not sure if this helps or answer the questions. I have done this several times and I am happy to share if you have further questions.

You will not be able to have gauge lighting with the stock gauges... unless you get creative and use the entire gauge pod intact,,,,, which has been done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts