Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep... ANOTHER parking brake thread...

First off this is on a Mk 3 Roadster, unfortunately I didn't build this car, I am just dealing with everything the builder didn't feel like doing correctly, so I really appreciate any help you can give me.

It appears as if the donor was a '99 SVT Mustang Cobra, and the kit is '05 vintage. The car has the Cobra IRS rear axle and appears to have factory brake calipers, cables, and handbrake lever. The builder had ran the cables along the lower control arms to the FFR bracket on the frame and then under the tube crossmember before connecting to the handle. Well you could pull the handle all the way up and it wouldn't even come close to actuating the parking brake levers on the calipers. I took the slack out of the handle mechanism and then shortened the brake cables (no longer running under the frame) and was able to get the brake to almost hold but nowhere near what a real parking brake should do. Then shortened the front cable (from the handle) and that helped a bit... but still not enough to hold the car on an incline. Shortened it another 3/8in and everything felt much too tight. How tight? Well, I could only get the handle to move 3 clicks before it felt like it was gonna snap something. This was enough to hold the car on a slight incline but nothing more. Tried for a 4th click and BOOM pulled the end off of one of the shortened rear cables...

So I am wondering where has it all gone wrong? Running the cables under the frame isn't right. Shortening them almost works, but this isn't one of those things where almost is OK. Got the lengths right, and it just feels all wrong. Is there another handle I should be using? Different calipers? Is there a known combination of factory components that will for sure work? A car with no bumpers has GOT to have a parking brake!!

Attachments

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
What parking brake handle are you using? If you use all stock (mustang) components then you should have enough leverage to work the rear caliper parking brake assembly. If you are using one of the nice shiny chrome hand brake assembly's......good luck in getting the proper leverage to apply the appropriate amount of force with the correct amount of travel to the rear calipers. When the cables were shortened how were new ends applied? To pull off a proper end on a brake cable takes more force than can be generated by the parking brake handle. Some pictures of your setup would be helpful. Also where is you parking brake located? If it is on the passenger floor you may want to think about relocating it to a more user friendly location.
Sean

Attachments

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,638 Posts
There is a lot to talk about. Please feel free to call me at 520-494-2745 and we can talk about the best way to get your car working. I also have a shop in Huntersville NC that would be happy to help also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What parking brake handle are you using? If you use all stock (mustang) components then you should have enough leverage to work the rear caliper parking brake assembly. If you are using one of the nice shiny chrome hand brake assembly's......good luck in getting the proper leverage to apply the appropriate amount of force with the correct amount of travel to the rear calipers. When the cables were shortened how were new ends applied? To pull off a proper end on a brake cable takes more force than can be generated by the parking brake handle. Some pictures of your setup would be helpful. Also where is you parking brake located? If it is on the passenger floor you may want to think about relocating it to a more user friendly location.
Sean
Using the stock Mustang handle/lever assembly. Looks just like the one in your photos.

When the cables were shortened the ends were installed with a swaging tool. I actually left a little extra cable and installed two ferrules. The ones I used were aluminum, should I be using another material?

The parking brake is located on the passenger side of the tunnel, correct me if I am mistaken but this should have little to do with the function of the parking brake itself?

I will try for some photos, but as the car is completely built it is tough to see much of anything without removing it all from the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts