Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MK III Foot box extension kits

Has anyone retrofitted either or both the passenger anr/or driver side foot box extension kits sold by a couple of vendors. I’m interested but want to know if the dollars and extra build time is worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I did the driver side with FF Metals and it was worth the effort and did not take any additional time in the build. The passenger was not done but now I wish I did. You say retrofit, does that mean that the original is already in?? This would be a bear with the engine in, otherwise simple disassembly and replacement. Cobra Earls I excellent also. I recommend doing both sides, expecially the drivers side. What engine are you using. I understand Mark III footboxes were narrowed to accomodate larger engines. I have a 302 and the mod came out perfect.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. We plan on using a 351W. I asked retrofit becasue if someone experienced the factory foot boxes and then replaced them with the extension they would have a real understanding of the difference. I sat in the car once I unpacked the seats, but thats no way to understand the pro's or con's of the OEM foot boxes. Thanks again, let me know if you have any other thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I have unmodified passenger side. You should go with the expanded footbox. I have to cross my feet to be comfy there. The 351 should be the same size as the 302 so there should be no engine issues. You want this on the drivers side, too. Our expanded footbox was just the right size for our fat feet after we bent the pedals. Worth every penny. You do not want to do a retrofit....do it now.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
418 Posts
So far in my build the best buy has been the FFMETAL kit. I got the Grandslam Special which gives you wider foot boxes(both sides), thicker footbox floors, extended and thicker dash, and the battery box. The cost was a little high but the quality of the material is great. If you have the Mark III, I highly recommend this kit.

·
15,282 Posts
Originally posted by BBAXTR:
So far in my build the best buy has been the FFMETAL kit. I got the Grandslam Special which gives you wider foot boxes(both sides), thicker footbox floors, extended and thicker dash, and the battery box. The cost was a little high but the quality of the material is great. If you have the Mark III, I highly recommend this kit.
These sort of options should all work fine with the 351W or the 302. The footbox in the MKIII is narrower to accommodate the modular 4.6 engines, which dwarf the small-block pushrod Fords. I don't see any way you could widen the footbox with a modular -- you're lucky to have a quarter-inch clearance with the engine as it is! I only wear size 9-10 shoes, but I don't have any trouble with the footbox as-is. Just an important note for future MKIII builders that use the newer donor.

Cheers, John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts