Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the MKII assembly book to get acquainted with the build process and difficulty level. Now that I am comfortable with the idea of building my own car, I have been researching the donor and kit of choice. I have a couple of people in search of a 1999 to 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra. This would obviously require the MKIII kit. However, I am curious whether the 2003 or 2004 SVT Cobra can be considered for the donor. These two years of Cobras are the 4.6L supercharged motors. Do you have any recommendations?

My next question, how much different/complicated is the MKIII kit from the build process described in the MKII assembly manual that I have?

My thought in using the 1999 to 2004 SVT Cobra donor was that I would have the IRS, disc brakes all around, solid engine and transmission, most likely lower mileage vehicle. I have a couple of contacts that are investigating the purchase of the above referenced donor as an insurance salvage vehicle. Therefore, the cost could make this approach more effective than rebuilding a higher mileage 5.0 with 4 lugs and drum brakes in the rear. Again, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have built many MKIs and MKIIs. I am reading the MKIII assembly manual as I type. It has a world of upgraded information over the earlier manuals. For example: torque specs for all suspention fastners. How to drill rivet holes. It seems very few, if anyone has bothered to read the earlier manuals so this may end up like the rest.

In my opinion the new build manual covers it all but most will just just ask online and get 49 different answers most preceeded by "I haven't done it yet but heres how you do it". Entertaining but lot's of BS.

FFR can't make it any easier with this new version.

Roger

·
4.6 Terminator Trailblazer
1,743 Posts
snakeskin,

I'm looking into a rolled '03 Cobra down in dc now, if it ever comes up for auction. It looks like everything will work off of it, but there are still questions about the IRS, mainly the 28-spline existing way of doing things or figuring out a way to use a 31-spline. A few of us are looking into it, but it looks like either way some t-bird parts will be needed.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
snakeskin

Of course the 03/04 SVT Cobra can be considered as a donor! (rated at 390HP)

also the 03/04 Mach I's (rated at 310HP) and of course the Newer GT's at 260 HP

I'm building one just because I really like the 03 Cobra Engine, here are my recent posts on the 03 Cobra donor:
</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts