Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fitting the EAs on my MK-II and have a couple questions.

I made a cardboard pattern for the fronts and fitted it in pace with about 1/2" clearance against the body. When I laid the pattern on the front EAs I find I need to trim about an inch (varying down to 1/2" in the middle and the top) at the two "wide spots" on the outside of the panels. I adjusted the pattern for each side.

I made a cardboard pattern for the rears, and again fitted it in place with about 1/2" clearance against the body. When I laid the pattern on the rear EAs I find I need to trim a little at the upper outside radius but I need to add about 5/8" at the lower outside corners. Again, I adjusted the pattern for each side.

Am I not allowing enough room for the bulb seal?

What is the clearace have other builders used between the EAs and the body?

I would like to only have to cut the panels once to get them correct.

Thanks for any advice and help.

Regards, Rick.

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I allowed 3/8" which is about the same amount as a fat sharpie laid on its side to the point of the sharpie. I know I have seen many references over the years for fitting elephant ears with a sharpie. You lay the sharpie flat against the body and trace the actual body contour to the elephant ear and trim accordingly. Worked well for me.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elephane Ear Fitting

timp2,

I got my pattern in shape by doing about what you did. My biggest question comes from the need to add some material to the lower radius of the rear EAs to get them out to fit to the pattern.

My rear fenders do not look like the bottom of the back side of the opening is pushed out, so I don't think that I want to try to pull it in to fit. Even if I did that, the rest of the fit along the vertical would then be off. The shape of the fender opening makes that part of the body fairly stiff anyway.

Regards, Rick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.