Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about to grease my chassis before getting it back on the road for the season and am trying to figure out what kind of grease to use. My challenge is I bought this as an unfinished build many years ago and i'm not sure what was used previously on the components he greased, nor what the alignment shop used when i took it in for alignment. I have royal purple synthetic in my gun which I used on the tie rod ends. I've read that mixing different type of greases is not a good thing. Is there any guidance on what I should do? Am I good just to go to town with royal purple everywhere and assume it will flush out the old stuff? Am I overthinking this (usually the case)? If not, what would the experts do and is there a better grease to use in this case?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Senior Charter Member
1,751 Posts
Grease compatablity is more important when it comes to high speed bearings. For chassis joints I would think as long as you flush the joints out until you have a good flow of the new grease coming out you should be fine.

·
Curious George
413 Posts
i noticed by adding synthetic to the ball-joints (FFR ones) that they tend to drip quite a bit (liquid) - I don't think the FFR ones are synthetic, so I may flush more synth into the joints till they set

as for the chassis, do like Dave M says and flush the joints out - won't take much :)

·
Senior Charter Member
1,751 Posts
Oil separation is one of the signs of carrier compound break down due to the incompatablity of mixed greases. That being said, some greases will ooze a little oil out no matter what but unless you have a problem or are using some really cheap grease it should'nt be much.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,702 Posts
I have also noticed that the LCA plastic (?) bushings seem to expand some as the grease is forced through them and out. So you wipe all excess grease off, drive for a bit and more oozes out as the bushings work their way back to normal shape. I like to use a red synthetic grease. I don't have to worry about compatibility w/ bushing or boot material and it seems to me to be easier to see the bright color when I have pushed the old dirty grease out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts