Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are starting to lose some data from the older build threads and archives. There is really nothing that will prevent all of this but I have been saving pictures since 2008ish and have an ok collection. They are not as organized as I would like but before long I will probably be able to send out a dropbox link to them.

Currently, that section is 888MB with 7000 files in 137 folders. I need to stay on top of the archive because sometimes stuff can disappear in a couple of weeks. The numbers above do not include my own data from #037.

Other than some ownership questions are there issues with sharing this data??? I have NOT censored it at all so the pictures are as posted here or as stolen from off the interthingy. :evil:

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay. Based on the lack of interest I'll just keep my archive going for my personal use. I don't need to do a rush job on organizing the stuff.

If you have started a build thread, please do your best to keep it updated and make sure you keep the host for the pics alive. Thanks :icon18:

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
2,011 Posts
I guess I didn't understand the question Geoff. Do you mean old threads from the '33 hot rod forum are going to disapear? Imagaes hosted by ffcars.com will start to disapear? Not sure what you mean by sharing the data.

You need to put it non-modeartor speak :)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If you have started a build thread, please do your best to keep it updated and make sure you keep the host for the pics alive. Thanks :icon18:
With that in mind, also do not move pictures from one file to another by cutting and pasting. Copy and paste so the original stays where it is and will then remain as posted into a thread. When I first started posting pictures I did just this but I was able to correct my mistake by putting the pictures back into the proper file.

Recently, I accidentally put a few pictures in an open space/file:confused1: in my photobucket account because of a format change photobucket had made. It took a few downloads of pictures to understand what was happening because I couldn't find them in the file I thought I'd put them in. I then had to leave the pictures where they were, because I had already used them in a thread. I later copied them into the file I wanted them in originally for use in the future.

It has been frustrating when you do a search and find the pictures are no longer there.

It is my feeling that when you post a picture of your own, it's gone from it being yours. Anybody can copy it, as I have done with others, and use it as they want.

George

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I didn't understand the question Geoff. Do you mean old threads from the '33 hot rod forum are going to disapear? Imagaes hosted by ffcars.com will start to disapear? Not sure what you mean by sharing the data.

You need to put it non-modeartor speak :)
As an example the photos in the Switta build thread are no longer there because well, I can't tell. Either they were moved or the acct is dead. I saved all I can to my hard drive just for that reason. I'm just saying we need to watch this for those coming down the road. I don't see a problem with the ffcars gallery but I don't use it. I'm sure there are more pack rats than just me. So at some point we may want to share our data using dropbox or some other cloud service. Imagine what you would see and understand from my build thread if my photobucket acct was deleted, it would be pretty lame.

With that in mind, also do not move pictures from one file to another by cutting and pasting. Copy and paste so the original stays where it is and will then remain as posted into a thread. When I first started posting pictures I did just this but I was able to correct my mistake by putting the pictures back into the proper file.

Recently, I accidentally put a few pictures in an open space/file:confused1: in my photobucket account because of a format change photobucket had made. It took a few downloads of pictures to understand what was happening because I couldn't find them in the file I thought I'd put them in. I then had to leave the pictures where they were, because I had already used them in a thread. I later copied them into the file I wanted them in originally for use in the future.

It has been frustrating when you do a search and find the pictures are no longer there.

It is my feeling that when you post a picture of your own, it's gone from it being yours. Anybody can copy it, as I have done with others, and use it as they want.

George
Yes, the bold is what I'm talking about. I also agree on what can happen once you post an image or data on the internet, it's not really free game but good luck keeping it as yours. I don't bother to stamp mine or put any claim on them but I know forums that take this very seriously.

Hahaha, so you both are George. I was just discussing old slang with some friends in the office. They had to watch a 1958 movie called "The Hunters" before believing me on the use of the word "george". The short version was some early beatniks used it to define something that was "cool". I forget what the word was for something that was not cool or "square", it won't geoff or jeff. :w00t:

·
Registered
360 Posts

George
Not really, the copy right really stays with the original owner, officially every time your picture is used, dues should be given to the original owner.

Off course, now it is so easy to copy and re-use pictures (and more!) this is no longer really possible...

This is the whole issue with Facebook and recently instagram privacy settings...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Not really, the copy right really stays with the original owner, officially every time your picture is used, dues should be given to the original owner.

Off course, now it is so easy to copy and re-use pictures (and more!) this is no longer really possible...

This is the whole issue with Facebook and recently instagram privacy settings...
Nope, you give Facebook your photo, says so in their agreement.

If you post a picture to a forum you are implying right to use. If you don't want someone to use it you'll have to specifically say it in the post. The forum has the right to keep the photos active in the threads.

It's a gift to the forum, it's users and in some cases the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.