Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i go drilling holes in the body, I was wondering if anyone had experience with mounting the mirrors in alternative locations.
i really like the look of the bullet mirror mounted to the body but understand that it has some limited visibility and vibration might be an issue as compared to side post mounting to the windshield.
same with the cowl mounted rear view mirror vs from the top of the windshield.
has anyone done both and noticed a significant difference in image vibration at highway speeds.
i've got low back seats and a single roll bar, if that changes your opinion on the cowl vs top of windshield mount location.
also planning on installing wind wings too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have my side mirrors mounted on body and they are completely useless lol. My rear view is mounted on top windshield with no shaking of either even at 160+🤠🤷🏻‍♂️.
5DFE1A2C-7A23-4952-B304-65B9AC74DA89.jpeg
5983C19E-241C-4517-9F65-465B2E203655.jpeg

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my side mirrors mounted on body and they are completely useless lol. My rear view is mounted on top windshield with no shaking of either even at 160+🤠🤷🏻‍♂️.
View attachment 361608
Nice. Is that the darkwatercustoms bracket or did you fab your own?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Chewy, that bullet mirror on the body is good for looks only. There's just not enough adjustment and/or body separation to get you a view of anything but that rear fender flare. I ended up taking mine off.

John

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chewy, that bullet mirror on the body is good for looks only. There's just not enough adjustment and/or body separation to get you a view of anything but that rear fender flare. I ended up taking mine off.

John
thanks for the info. the breeze/dreamcar mirror looks very nice, but also at a premium price.
the speedway peep mirror seems like a very economic option.
any way to shim the bullet or cut off part of the pedestal to angle it out a bit ? i've also seen the windshield post mounted bullet style mirror but not sure I like that look.
what did you end up going with, or no side mirror at all?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a wind wing-mounted driver's side mirror (from Breeze), and it works great with very little vibration. I have my rearview mounted from the top of the windscreen as Buttinz1 posted (though with a homemade bracket), and it's pretty useless because of vibration. The biggest difference on my car is probably that I am running solid dropped motor mounts, so I have more vibration into the frame of the car.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll likely end up trying the body mounted mirrors once I have the body on, and have the holes covered during body work if I elect to mount to the windsheild.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My car has the center mirror mounting on the top of the windshield and on the cowl. I usually just leave the one on the cowl as I prefer it. I like the look and it works. BUT.... the bullet mirror has no dim. At night, I get blasted.

I also have the wing mounted side mirrors from Breeze and love them. They do not work when I have the top on, but they are sold and do not vibrate.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I went with the Breeze side mirrors. For the center mirror, I asked Bill at ffmetal to make a center mount like the one that used to be available from Darkwater Customs. Bill is local to me, so that made it easy.

Neither the Breeze nor ffmetal mounts were inexpensive, but they provide excellent visibility.

John

·
Charter Member
1,041 Posts
For the center mirror I've struggled for many years trying to find or build a good solution. I really did not want to mount a small one to the body. I tried a Mustang mirror mounted to the glass. That vibrated like crazy in my car. It was so bad that the image of a vehicle in the rear could not be differentiated between a truck or a car. For reference my engine is solid mounted to the frame, so I may get more vibration than others. I tried mounts like shown above that connect into the windshield frame. Still no satisfaction. I tried the larger panoramic mirror with twin mounts to the windshield frame, still not an acceptable solution. I custom made so many brackets, I got lost in the number of attempts. I needed a solution that would give me decent visibility during track events. Before someone comments that "it doesn't matter who is behind you, just keep on driving...", there is always somebody faster at some point in the day and most track clubs require you to give a wave bye for cars able to pass. Finally I was fed up with these attempts and went to Pegasus and asked if I could trial fit (more like place than attach) one before buying. I decided it would work but I had to make an "S" shaped bracket to replace the straight one they provided. Though pricey, it works, wish I had bit the bullet years ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I fitted the bullet mirror assembly because I liked the look, but didn't find it very useful. Later I got a general purpose convex mirror that was an exact fit. I held it to the existing mirror glass with blutack so that I could revert back to the standard mirror easily. Huge improvement in rear visibility.

Ultimately, like riding a motorcycle, I just turn my head.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Im 6ft3 and have the side body mounted mirror. It is useless. I figured it was just me, not finding the sweet spot on how to see anything behind me. After reading this post, I will no longer mess with it. I do like the look. So now that I know its only cosmetic, one less worry. Also I figured out real quick that it is exactly like riding a motorcycle as previously stated. I just turn my head a lot, look, get on the gas and go go go.. I love it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fitted the bullet mirror assembly because I liked the look, but didn't find it very useful. Later I got a general purpose convex mirror that was an exact fit. I held it to the existing mirror glass with blutack so that I could revert back to the standard mirror easily. Huge improvement in rear visibility.

Ultimately, like riding a motorcycle, I just turn my head.

Cheers,

Nigel
thanks nigel
i was planning on replacing the stock flat mirror with a convex blind spot one. found a website from the georgia cobra club explaining the swap. should be one of the cheaper mods that i'll do on this car.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,840 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Three years ago I added this stick mirror just for the heck of it.Its actually smaller than it looks in this pix.it covers some of the dead area not covered by the other 3

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the standard FFR mirrors. I like the looks and I find them somewhat useful. I guess it depends on how much you drive the car. If I drove mine a lot, it would bother me more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
before i go drilling holes in the body, I was wondering if anyone had experience with mounting the mirrors in alternative locations.
i really like the look of the bullet mirror mounted to the body but understand that it has some limited visibility and vibration might be an issue as compared to side post mounting to the windshield.
same with the cowl mounted rear view mirror vs from the top of the windshield.
has anyone done both and noticed a significant difference in image vibration at highway speeds.
i've got low back seats and a single roll bar, if that changes your opinion on the cowl vs top of windshield mount location.
also planning on installing wind wings too.
Put it on your windshield post, you can't see any thing but the top of the rear fender if you put on the front fender. use a raydot mirror.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts