Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm trying to get the bodywork and paint completed by my body shop to help keep them busy during the slowdown here in So Cal.
It's a gen 3, and I have the front and rear suspension completed.
I need to know what is the minimum I need to do to the chassis so they can attach the body, hand the doors, attach aluminum, etc.
Any information would be great.
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I would say the absolute minimum would be the firewall, instrument panel (rests on the firewall), and radiator tunnel. But that much would be risky in my opinion. I found the front inner lower splash panels were critical to hold the pontoons in place and to get the nose fitted properly. The front inner panels are necessary to attach those panels. I found the manual instructions for placing the rear of the body to be dead on. It's quite detailed and for mine turned out perfect. But the rest -- front of the body, doors, and nose I found challenging. They interact a lot. Don't finalize anything until you're happy with everything. A change one place affects something else. You just keep going around and around until you find the best compromise for all. Do the final fit on the doors with the nose alignment as best as you can with it and down and latched. You'll also want to check the fit of the windshield and mock up the rear glass and hinges and make any adjustments to the body before finishing. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Rick,

Seems like you want them to hang the body and doors. Don't forget about the rear glass too.
If you are going to have it painted too I would finish everything to make the car complete from the outside i.e. gas cap, tail lights, head lights, marker lights, mirrors, side glass, 1/4 scoops, headlight covers etc.
Don't think you want to drill all those holes with finished painto_O

John

·
Charter Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, everyone for the responses. I am very willing to have the shop fit the body and paint and then
remove and store while I finish up the rest of the build.
If I read correctly I will need to install:
Firewall, dash, rad aluminum, front inner lower splash panels and A/C condenser if I complete the bodywork/paint and then remove and store the body.
If I want to have the bodywork/paint completed and NOT remove the body I will need to install:
Firewall, dash, A/C condenser, front inner lower splash panels, outside hardware, and glass?

Am I correct?
Rick

·
Registered
384 Posts
On my gen2 everything that attached to the body needed modifying, and that was even with FFR doing the cut outs, the fuel cap hole needed enlarging, the headlight holes needed aligning (slotting) the door hinge holes, etc etc, everything. If you don't test fit everything you will be grinding on panted fiberglass for sure or have fitment issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts