Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mini Back Up Light by Randy J.

I just installed my Mini Cooper backup (reverse) light yesterday and if I didn't have to look around for the tiny terminal connectors, it would have been about an hour's job. It's really inexpensive, easy, and looks great!

Anyway, I took a bunch of pictures and decided that I would post a 'howto' here just in case those that follow us can use it.

Thanks to Tony A for the initial information and being the first (I was the 2nd and wrote the FAQ)

Stuff you'll need (or want)

- Mini Backup light

- Tiny push on crimp terminals. I think they're used for small car speakers. (I got mine at an auto parts store. Radio Shack and Home Depot didn't carry them that small)

- Dremel with the sanding drum on it.

- Sabre saw

- Drill motor and a large sized bit or a step drill.

- Sharpie (or equivalent marker)

- Silicone

Step 1.

Get a Mini Cooper backup light assembly from a Mini dealership.

The part number is: 63-22-1-477-678

They cost about 10 dollars depending on where you go and are a really nice part. The pricing has to be a mistake as there is no car part ever that was this nice and cost so little.

Step 2.

Prep the light. As you can see in this picture, there are these little 'ribs' on the light that would prevent you from inserting it in the hole you're going to cut in your body.

30 seconds with the Dremel sanding drum and they're gone like in this picture:

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/min20006.jpg/[img]

You'll also notice that I cut the plug. My original intention was to solder wires onto it but the lugs are chrome so push on terminals had to be used instead. I put a dab of silicone on top of them to keep corrosion down.

[img]http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/min20014.jpg

Step 3.

Locate your hole. Make sure you don't hit the trunk floor and that you find center. I decided center was the middle between the two lower quickjack mounting bolts. It may not be exactly center when paint is applied and if not, I'll have my painter move the hole. ...but you get the idea.

Step 4.

Set the light, face toward the car and use a Sharpie to trace around the lens, essentially making an oval the shape of the light.

After you've traced the outline, you need to 'freehand' another oval inside the first. Keep in mind that your actual hole has to be smaller than the outside oval on the light. This will keep the light from pushing right through. Instead, it will stop at the 'flange'.

Here is a picture of the two ovals on the car with a sharpie:

Step 5.

Drill a few holes inside that are big enough to get your sabre saw blade into.

Step 6.

Cut the oval with your sabre saw but leave yourself some room. Don't cut right up to the line, you'll sneak up on the actual size with the dremel.

Step 7.

Use your dremel again with the sanding drum to open up the hole. Keep putting the light in the hole and open it up so that it's a snug fit but not too tight. You'll use silicone on the back side to keep it in.

Here's a picture of the hole all finished:

Step 8.

Wire it! I picked up a frame ground right near the light and soldered my reverse light with a piece of shrink wrap.

Step 9.

Push the light all the way to the 'flange' and put a bead of silicone on the backside to keep it in.

KEY WORDS: mini light backup reverse lights light

ORIGINAL FFR FAQ LINK: http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/lights.html

Continued

1 - 1 of 1 Posts