Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title asks, how do you like it?

As I am tracking more, I find the rear shifter location not to my liking, and not nearly as accurate. I want to move it forwards, but still keep distance from the dash so my hand does not hit andy switches.

I already have an aftermarket shifter, but still have the old T-5 shifter. I do not want to change tail housings.

If you have built one, and have pics, please post!

Many of you know my car, originality is not my forte, performance & driving position/controls is paramount.

Many Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have the mid shift on my 3550. It changes the look, but it shifts way better and is much more comfortable to drive. Plus it gives me room for my arm.

Mike

[ September 26, 2007, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Mike in CA ]

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I have TKO600 midshift...it is super slick, smooth, short throws, precise and comfortable.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I have a "bolt-on" mid shift for the T-5. I love it. At 6'5" elbow room is at a premium. Don't know where Easton is, but if you get to DC area you are welcom to stop in a check it out.

It is a 1/4" plate that bolts on the normal shifter location. There is a T5 shifter with the bottom arm cut off bolted on the front and a bar to link it to the normal shifter. I didn't build it but could likely find a couple of pictures if you are interested.

Search over on the Spec racer forum for mid shift adapters. There are/ were a couple of versions.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Also you can check out www.moderndriveline.com
They do a front shift on the T5 and they are able to use a speedo cable.
I just shipped mine to them for a rebuilt and front shift and Pro 5.0 shifter for the front shift.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stephen,

Can you post pics? I remember someone here doing an owner-fabbed set-up, that sounds like yours.

My idea thinking is to use my old shifter, and mount it where I want it, and then make ah elongated "H" that is snug for finding the 3 gates, but allows the throws within each gate.

Is this similar to yours?

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
S-10 tailhousing with Dodge Viper take-off shifter >$40 invested. Great location, great feel. Hand falls off the wheel right to the knob. Short crisp shifts. I used an electronic speedo to get around the speedo gear issues. Can't beat it for the price.

·
FFR 6240
350 Posts
Originally posted by cobrathegreat1:
They do a front shift on the T5 and they are able to use a speedo cable.
Does the TKO not have speedo provisions? Is there a work around?

·
Registered
901 Posts
This is my shifter mod. I have about 2000 miles on it and REALLY like it . Serveral other have made ones similar. (Sorry, I do not make them for sale) Please copy to your hearts content.

Dan Ziol

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Hey, Guys, very similar to what Dan made for his is this one which I bought for mine.

http://www.sofastracing.com/shifter.htm

A pricey part but the shift is good and feels natural. This part requires a mod to the bracing on a mark ll or better. I didn't even consider making one but wish I did. I could have probably kept from doing quite the mods that I did to accommodate the SoFast design. Anyway it works good and I'm happy with it.

All the best, Don

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I will see if I can find and then post a couple of pics. Min is close to the sofast one, but much much more crude.

I don't have any thing at the front as a gate pattern, the Pro-5 on the tranny has the gate control. The bar between the front and rear has two mounting locations at each end. The four combinations allow you to control the length of shft throw. I run at about 3 inches 1-2, 3-4. I am pretty sure it adjusts down to about 1.5 inch throw.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I have the T 5 with Hurst short throw shifter.
Since I did'nt like the ffr shifter extension I made my own shifter handle.
Shifter came with a new shorter shift handle. I cut the mounting base off it(about bottom 2") since it was needed to bolt up to the shifter. But next cut off the upper part of the mustang shifter. This allowed me to weld the two sections together at an angle so it moved the shift handle forward a few inch's.
The shift ball location is forward at least as far or further then it was when useing the ffr extension. But it no longer sits too high or at a weird angle. Looks the same as an aftermarket shift handle would in a mustang. Also lets you take advantage of the shorter throw with a short throw shifter.
The stock mustang handle can't be used since it's rubber mounted and offset too much. Need to use the bottom mounting portion of after market short throw shift handle with top of mustang shift handle.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely have a winter project ahead. Been lots of good info put here, and I am working on a plan. I will stay with the mid-shift concept, but from there, I'll let my creativity go to work.

(After all, I did my own hydraulic clutch, extended pass footbox, LED taillights, and other tricks, so why not this?)

·
Charter Member
452 Posts
Quit it. I am going to have to stop visiting this web site. I am trying to get my car finished so I can drive it and I keep finding more things to do. Like Chepsk8, if I do it, it will be shop fabbed and not purchased. I don't know how many hours I have in aluminum mods, wipers, modified heater (should have done firewall forward), new dash, probe turn signals and wire diet (rewire?). And now mid-shift and hydraulic clutch?

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I just made this thread a sticky,a lot of nice mods guys.
StephenP- your website is INOP.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Nick - sorry I had to pull it off line a while back. It was a home system that got hacked too often and the last time was being used by a spammer. :( Too much time to keep it clean that I could be spending on the car.

[ September 25, 2007, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: StephenP ]

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
I drove two F5 cobras with the standard shifter before I decided to go with the mid shift.
I got mine from D&D in Michigan and I really like the short crisp shifts,would never go back to the stock rear shifter setup.
I know it doesn't look "period correct" ,but actually I think it looks better.

More ergonomic and natural position too.
Paul M.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,270 Posts
Mine is similar to Dan Z's but I used solid rod and clevis ends for the new shift rod (1/2" rod, heated and bent to shape), and reworked a 289-style shifter from Finish Line for the handle. Heim joints and clevis ends came from McMaster, solid rod and the piece of angle stock for the bracket from the local hardware store. Some learning from doing this: you'll need to replace the two bolts where the angle bracket bolts to the housing with slightly longer ones as the stock hardware will tend to back out (even with Lock Tite).

Making the new shift mechanism was actually pretty easy. The more time consuming part of this mod is raising the tunnel height. I used 1" square tube to fab new rails and cross braces (I didn't cut anything out, just added on) and some stainless sheet stock I had around from another mod to complete the job. If you have everything on hand, this is an easy weekend project and, whether you're looking for a better shift position or just like the looks of the mid-shift, well worth the trouble.

Somewhere I think I may have a few pics of a couple of the step in this. Will look for them later and post again when I find them. From a cost perspective - if you buy the 289 shift handle - I recall being somewhere around $300 when it was all said and done.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts