Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going with a TKO500 or 600, and a FMS351W crate.

What exactly is the purpose of a mid-shift kit, and do I need it?

Can you post a pic of a Tremec TKO with and w/o a midshift so I can see the difference.

Thanks, Rob.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
The original Cobras had the engine and tranny set back so far that the shift handle would have been next to the driver and almost impossible to shift. Shelby used a shift handle turned backwards, which is what give the handle it's unique and now classic look. The T5 and Tremec normal shift location allows you to replicate this look. If you don't like this and want the shifter in a more "normal" location use a mid-shift kit (moves the shifter forward to the middle of the tranny). These kits are usually used by the coupe crowd to reposition the shifter in the location used for the coupe.

Bottom line: you don't need it!

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Mark, I love the classic look, but doesn't the long external lever arm multiply the already excessive shift length on the early T-5 world class models? Is there a very short throw shift kit that bring the total range back to someting normal or even a little on the quick side?

Mike

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I have just put a kit on my T5 that I got from a spec racer. I have a right shoulder that complains every once in a while. The standard shift with the street performers required that I raise my elbow out over the tunnel to shift and the shoulder would really hurt after a couple of hours. Moving the shifter forward 5-6" so my arm is still down at my side when I shift should help a bunch.

The other element is that the lever arm options let me select a much shorter throw. I am not sure what I will end up with, not the shortest - like ~1.5" from 1st to 2nd, I am sure but it will be much shorter (read quicker)throw than the stock shifter requires.

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Mike, it does make the throw longer, but it is still better than the old top loader 4 speed was. You could update it with either a B&M #45070 or BBK #2700 that would help and still keep the shifter in the same location. You could also relocate the T-5 shifter (check the archives, there are several threads on how to do this). The T-5 doesn't have the same mid-shift option as the Tremec, so these are your options.

·
5,559 Posts
Michael,

If you use a good quality aftermarket shifter like the Steeda, or Pro-50, these have shorter more precise shift patterns, so it makes it very nice even with the long handle. I don't really notice that it is much longer in stroke length, because all movement is relative to the mechanism.

Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
Rob,
I have a TKO trans sitting behind a 460.TKO transmissions have different shifter mounting locations, the midshift option and a 289 chrome stick from finish line makes for much more precise and comfortable shifting.dont get me wrong I like the classic look of the foward canted shifter,but when you are out to teach some kid in a souped up Lancer Evolution a lesson missing a shift will suck.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
If you look at my build site, you will see my Tremec with the standard (rear) shift location.

I thought I had one, but it appears I don't. I will try and find one and post it for you

2FAST

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 2Fast, I'll look again later for a pic.

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
2Fast, do you use a Steeda or Pro5 shifter?

·
6,305 Posts
Do you need it? That's up to you. I personally preferred the midshift location and operation and was willing to give up the "period look" to get it. Here's what it looks like.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
I use a Pro 5.0 shifter with the handle turned around (more forward facing).

2FAST

1 - 12 of 12 Posts