Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my coworkers said they were at a fair last summer and there was a company that had a body kit for Mazda Miattas that turned them into a cobra. Anyone ever heard of these? I want to see a picture of one.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Eeeeek!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

So does it have dual pipes, or just one big fart can like the kids and their Hondas?? An odd looking Cobra with less than 150 hp and 4 cylinders? Oh boy...

The question of "why" also comes up. By time you get a Miata, the kit and do all the work, you're probably over 50% of the cost to getting a budget FFR. I've seen the Z3 body kit for the Miata too. Used Z3s are pretty cheap. The Miata by itself is a great little roadster. Why mess around with it?

Steve

[ February 26, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Klayfish ]

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I think it's just a rebody...no engine or exhaust mods.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh, it is a local Seattle company. No wonder he saw it at the fair. Interesting concept. I wonder how many they sell.

·
4,318 Posts
There is a company called (I think) Monster Miata. they do 5.0 swaps into a Miata. they will so a bowtie also. They had a couple last year at Knotts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Yes, there is a Monster Miata, using a 302. If the weight balance is right, that's pretty cool. Similar in concept to a Cobra. Stuffing a V8 into a small 4 cylinder convertible. But the body is left in tact.

Steve

·
Registered
906 Posts
The Monster Miata uses the 302 engine and the Tbird rear end. They add fender flares for bigger tires and louver the hood for cooling. Most of the rest is untouched, including the gas tank (12 gallons).

They also make the Mega Monster Miata, which uses the 302 with a Kenne Bell supercharger, porting, etc. With a heavy foot, about 6 miles to the gallon. If you do the math, that gets you less than 100 miles before looking for gas. One of the guys in our Miata club has one, and like to take it autox. He can't make most of our weekend drives due to the short range.

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Steve - my 500HP supercharged 306 gets 24-25 mpg on the highway if I baby it. If your bud really gets 6mpg, he's got major tuning problems. I think I got about double that running WOT at Kershaw.

·
191 Posts
I have a 1990 Miata with aerodyne turbo with intercooler and drove 100 miles in an hour and averaged 27 miles per gal for that tank on a trip back from SF Ca. I was thinking of making a Mega Monster but was afraid of losing handling. The little 98 cu makes 200 bhp with the turbo ,as fast as most stock 5.0 Mustangs, because it weights 2180 lbs . I am now building FFR4757. so I won't need to build a Miata Mega Monster. Wayne " 56 yr old kid " who has to have his toys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts