Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
After searching the archives for information on the MGW shifter, I was unable to find anyone that declared a successful installation with the angled shifter handle a lot of us use. I'm using a T5Z and wondered if anyone had a parts list or method to use the aftermarket shifter while retaining the traditional look? Please tell me what you know (regarding the above question).

Scott

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the MGW 3650 (the one with the round shifter mount shaft and clamping handle/arm) and I just turned the handle ~180 deg (now points forward about 11:00 when viewed from above).

IMHO, good placement - it is a little shorter than the FFR handle on the stock shifter. Once I put a boot over it, I don't think you would know the difference.

·
Premium Member
16,633 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dv/dt,
That's exactly what I was looking for.:w00t: I will call Whitby when my shifter arrives.

Thank You for posting that so quickly.

Scott

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My T5 mid-shift with the MGW short shaft. Feels really comfortable and solid. I have the shifter located at about 11:00.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have the MGW shifter and I believe I bought Fast Freddies very last shifter handle and it worded really well; the MGW handles are a little shorter then the FF handle; not sure if MGW sells a longer one; if you want some pictures or measurements send me a PM with your email address and I'll get you any info you want.

·
Junior Charter Member
119 Posts
I absolutely love the MGW shifter. If I were having Jeff do this again for me, I would have the lever about 5 degrees more forward (lower). I just had Jeff copy the FFR lever angle and it is a touch too high/back in 2nd and 4th.

Because of the round post, the lever can be angled toward the driver. Lots of adjustment possibilities :)

I had wanted Fast Freddies lever, but I did not buy one in time. I did contact MGW and they did change their tune and said that they would not have a problem with Fast Freddies' lever. I would love to try his lever and hope that he will make another batch at some point.

HTH

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
I had the replica 427 style handle installed on a Pro 5.0 shifter and found that my elbow was contacting the inner shoulder bolster on my Kirkey Intermediate Road Racing seats (high back). Mostly when shifting from 1-2, but also noticed it at times when moving from 3-4. I switched to an MGW shifter with Fast Freddie's custom handle and I was golden. It doesn't have the panache of the replica 427 handle but it is a much more conventional feel. Maybe if enough people squawk he'll decide to make some more? :

The little red button on the handle operates the passenger ejection seat :w00t:!

Sean

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys, I got the shifter installed and got to work on a solution for the shifter handle. Based on the comments and some test fitting, I too elected to roll the handle forward about ten degrees. With the adapter I made, I also moved the handle forward one inch. It now makes for a very comfortable position on my shoulder and elbow. I'm going to attempt to add a pic so you can see what I did. It's not rocket science, but I was able to reuse my shifter handle and stock shifter boot and trim ring.

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Nice work Scott!

I thought I would post a pic of my MGW shifter with the handle that comes with the shifter. My wife made the leather boot and I used a simple black ball with the 5-speed pattern on it. I love this shifter - really tight throw and it's just where it needs to be. This is on a T5Z with the mid-shift conversion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.