Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago I stepped up and bought an HP 6110x MFP (Fax, Scanner, Copier, Printer) and other than being thirsty for ink (like all of them) it's done very well for us. Until. We had a power brownout for about 30 seconds last week. The printer does not flash any errors but no longer works. I've installed new drivers etc - even hardwired it (via USB) to another computer and installed drivers and all SW. No soap.

Looks like I need another.

Anyone have a Consumer Reports guide or other reviews of technology like this?

Thanks!

[ November 21, 2005, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Big-Foot ]

·
7,134 Posts
Randy

Mine went out 2 months back , just would not work like yours....spent 2 hours on helpline and eventually the guys said - 4 years is a long time for these devices ----grrrrrrr

I just bought the new HP 7310 all in one, works very well and is fast in both color and B&W.

I liked the ability to both have a flat bed scanner and feeder which this has...

·
Charter Member
1,083 Posts
I bought 1 HP OJ5510 about 3 months ago and was really happy with the performance. I now have 8 in production plus 1 on the shelf. Very good printer for $150. Remember, if you get 2 years of service out of one, you're doing good. Thats why I shop by price point for these items, and only HP.

·
15,282 Posts
On something of a whim, I picked up a remanufactured Brother unit about three weeks ago for $39 after rebate. I've put about 500 pages through it so far. Quality is decent. I wouldn't do photos on it, but then I wouldn't on any printer -- I like to use a real lab even for digital prints.

The best part is that I was able to buy a 10-pack of ink cartridges (4 black, 2 blue, 2 yellow, 2 magenta) for about $35 online.

They're all kind of throw-away devices in my mind. If you don't need color, also consider some of the laser-based MFP units out there. Per-page costs are a lot lower.

Cheers, John

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - keep them coming!

I wouldn't have a big problem with this printer now being TIA except for the fact that it's not even had a full ream of paper run through it during it's life.. :(

Photo and color capabilities are a must around my house. Certainly the photos worth printing and framing are printed at the local filmography store - These are for school reports, spreadsheets etc..

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
The first question that needs to be answered is how many prints a month you run. The smaller HP printers do a pretty good job nowdays, but cost you a fortune to keep up with supplies. According to your info posted, don't get a commercial printer, you just don't print enough to make it worth while, cost wise. The newer color laser printers are just about doing picture quality, but the costs start around $1000 and up.

You'll find that most of the printers sold today are basically disposable. They usually cost more to fix one thing than it costs to buy new.

Scott

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
We have 3 of the Brother MF9700's and they get worked to death and keep on trucking. They scan very well and fax, copy, print, very nicely. I have one, Galt does and Rob does. We probably print 100-400 pages per day between us all and they never fail.

The cost to operate them is very low.

- Bill

·
Senior Charter Member
1,860 Posts
I have the HP 6110.....works very well. But be sure you confirm whatever you choose is "wireless-ready" if you think you may want that functionality. I didn't and the 6110 wasn't.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Stay with Brothers or HP, and avoid the Epsons units like the plague.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Stay away from the Dell 962. I had one and I was pleased with it until it broke after about 4 months. Dell was really good about replacing it, but that one broke too. I finally went back to a laser printer (Dell 1700) and so far so good.

·
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys... I've got a lot of good info here. I'm thinking that the premature failure in this HP printer of ours may have been uncharacteristic of the breed. I've not made up my mind yet, but from my past experience with both Epson and Canon - I'll not ever spend another penny on either...

Tonight my sister gave me a freebie printer that she got with her new Dell. That will hold me for a short time while I make my decision..

Thanks again fellas!

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Randy,

I have a Brother MFC9800 and it is awesome. Bought it new on ebay and saved big time It has tons of features you may never even need. The biggest reason I bought it is that it has dual tray capabilities (which I bought the additional tray for legal) since I am in the mortgage business and need to print applications that involve both legal and letter. HTH

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
It's in the interest of HP and most others to make durable printers because they often break even or take a loss on the printer and make all their profits on the ink.

The last couple printers I've bought have been very cheap HP units (one or both had rebates) and I go a year or two on a set of cartridges, so when they dry up or empty, I'm usually happier getting a new printer than replacing the ink.

If I had a home phone line, I'd probably get an all in one laser for my next printer. I virtually never need color and a full toner cartride would probably outlive me. You can get an HP color laser all in one for $800 now. If your budget allows, that could be a nice long term investment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts