Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
great news, can you provide any additional details such as measurements and costs? Information would be greatly appreciated as I am currently patiently waiting on my Mendeola transaxle, and this could be very helpful.

congrats on the fix

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
549 Posts
So... after doing a little geometry work and measuring I was able to find the maximum length the axle can be, which it wasn't too far off. Cut most of the axle off to the very edge where the axle clip goes for the Porsche side leaving a very fine amount to hold the clip on, and spun the axle on a lathe and took a slight bit of the shoulder off the axle for the Chevy side. Looks like it will work now.
If you had it chucked up in the lathe, Why didn't you just use a cut off tool to shorten the axle at the 930 end and just re cut a new clip groove?

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
If you had it chucked up in the lathe, Why didn't you just use a cut off tool to shorten the axle at the 930 end and just re cut a new clip groove?
The splines would have to be lengthened in order to do that......

Not answering for jawerner, but that seems like the most likely reason.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
The splines would have to be lengthened in order to do that......

Not answering for jawerner, but that seems like the most likely reason.
My initial hope for a solution to this issue was exactly that. Unfortunately, the axles that FFR use are not designed to be very "adjustable". They have a shoulder on the 930 end and very minimal amounts of splined area.

This is one of the reasons I stated earlier that I really did not care for the design of the FFR "adapter" axles.

On a side note, we always leave 3-4 inches of extra spline on our axles so that they can easily be cut down if needed.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
I will say now the design sucked and more I'm a little angry about it, but don't want to go into all the details. Especially since nobody at FF cares that I had a lot of lost time. Tearing the car back apart and much more... Then having to buy more parts to get it back together which I'm still waiting on. Let's just say there was a lot of contact to FF about this and now that a probable solution is found I don't here anything from them. To make it short I explained how it could become a serious problem, and further explained how disappointing it was. Explained I didn't feel these extra costs should be on me since it was supposed to be a for sure working setup. Never thought I would need to check the axles before fully assembling the car. Well now I'm completely ignored. Even now I don't know how comfortable I feel about these.. The weird thing is Jim at Factory Five did put their gray SEMA GTM on a lift and sent me pictures of theirs working okay with the Mendeola as well. I don't know what the differences are, and still not 100% sure of the cause. I just know being an owner of 3 businesses I would be getting some super nasty phone calls, people coming to me in person, various letters, and probably a letter from the BBB if I performed in a similar fashion.

Yes Shane answered it. I couldn't shorten the axle a certain way for the reason of not being able to nicely cut splines for the CV. Also, Crash has the right setup. These axles made from who knows where don't leave much options if problems like mine come about. But hey you already paid for them with the kit, hate to throw them out. I'll just say the axles sent don't seem like the best option out there.

Keith1 I will have to pull the measurements back up, but mine was more than 9.25. Believe that was the width of my housing before the axles shafts of the transaxle. Can you check your messages and call me sometime? Seems like we are building about the same setup and at the same point.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I will say now the design sucked and more I'm a little angry about it, but don't want to go into all the details. Especially since nobody at FF cares that I had a lot of lost time. Tearing the car back apart and much more... Then having to buy more parts to get it back together which I'm still waiting on. Let's just say there was a lot of contact to FF about this and now that a probable solution is found I don't here anything from them. To make it short I explained how it could become a serious problem, and further explained how disappointing it was. Explained I didn't feel these extra costs should be on me since it was supposed to be a for sure working setup. Never thought I would need to check the axles before fully assembling the car. Well now I'm completely ignored. Even now I don't know how comfortable I feel about these.. The weird thing is Jim at Factory Five did put their gray SEMA GTM on a lift and sent me pictures of theirs working okay with the Mendeola as well. I don't know what the differences are, and still not 100% sure of the cause. I just know being an owner of 3 businesses I would be getting some super nasty phone calls, people coming to me in person, various letters, and probably a letter from the BBB if I performed in a similar fashion.

Yes Shane answered it. I couldn't shorten the axle a certain way for the reason of not being able to nicely cut splines for the CV. Also, Crash has the right setup. These axles made from who knows where don't leave much options if problems like mine come about. But hey you already paid for them with the kit, hate to throw them out. I'll just say the axles sent don't seem like the best option out there.

Keith1 I will have to pull the measurements back up, but mine was more than 9.25. Believe that was the width of my housing before the axles shafts of the transaxle. Can you check your messages and call me sometime? Seems like we are building about the same setup and at the same point.

That would be great to talk, I checked my messages but didn't see anything in my inbox. Could you try sending your number again? I tried sending you a private message several weeks ago but never heard a response so I wonder if it's not communicating for some reason. I will try again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I was wrong.. not fixed

Okay so I'm back to where I started. I was being too hopeful. Fully assembled an axle and tightened everything up. While I gained a small amount its not fixed. So instead of the original 2.5" I'm getting 3" of travel. Believe I didn't take into consideration of where the Porsche CV holds the axle during travel. It's still making it contact the axle shaft of the transaxle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Stage1 Transaxle
If you have this attached flange, it is possible your axles are touching in travel of suspension.
We have not seen any drive stub failure or bearing failure.
There are 73 unit in the field with this style of flange with a width of 10.750".

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stage1 Transaxle
If you have this attached flange, it is possible your axles are touching in travel of suspension.
We have not seen any drive stub failure or bearing failure.
There are 73 unit in the field with this style of flange with a width of 10.750".
Oh NO!
Sounds like FFR may owe some people new axles. I like Crashes axles that use the 930 CV's on both axle ends best!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Figuring the axles were designed for a transaxle with a width of 9.25" That would mean the axles are roughly 3/4" too long on this transaxle.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Not out of business. I speak with Ian on a regular basis.

I do know that they are working on a couple new products that have been prototyped and that this is taking substantial amounts of time.

Leave a message and they should be getting back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I received my Mendeola Transaxle this past summer about 9 months after ordering it. The communication was pretty sketchy before it was shipped to me and I got a bit frustrated wondering if I had been had, but after receiving it Ian was great. He responded to my questions promptly and quickly took care of a minor service issue. I suspect they are so busy that the communication is suboptimal, but hang in there, it gets much better once they ship it to you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
GT Reproductions, I am in the same situation but am to the point I am tired of the waiting as well as no response as to when it will be ready. let me know when you get yours as I should be right behind you.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Okay, so still scratching my head last night and something popped into it...did you align the car and do so with the anticipated extra 800-1000 lbs of bodywork and fluids and people?

I just reviewed the thread and do not see any mention of suspension alignment. This will effect the distance between the upright and the transaxle...no question about it.

Before anyone does anything else, if you haven't, make sure to put an alignment on the suspension before modifying anything! And, again, you also need to make sure you take into account the weight of the body, fluids, and people.

As a side note, I can recall that we did not experience any binding issues with the axles at their tightest point, but we DID experience issues where the axles would pull out of the Corvette CV at full droop. We solved this by limiting droop with travel limiting straps. With the 930 CVs on both inner and outer, we no longer needed to limit suspension travel, although the angles do get a bit extreme with the stock length shocks, so we shortened our latest shocks a bit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So I am very early in my build, but just got my suspension parts back from the powder coater and am considering changing the hubs out to newer ones.

As I'm searching hub options I come across Crash's options for the upgraded hubs and also came across this thread. It looks like it has been some time since any updates, anything new out there on this issue guys? I'm going with a Mendy Stage 2 and wondering if anyone else on this thread is going with the Stage 2 and seeing this issue.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Okay I have been getting numerous phone calls, emails, texts, forum messages, and even a few people mad I haven't updated this. So here you go. I have yet to run full driving tests with the car, But I do have 110% the suspension travel now that was missing. No more binding!! Worked with Mendeola on this. They came up with an idea to use a long spline axle so it is free floating on the Porsche side. Axles you will find in the off-roading world such as in sand rails or dune buggies and such. One of the things that worried me was the width of them and being able to handle the power so I bought some 300M axles at the length I determined will work in my car. They cut the grooves for the retaining clips on the Chevy and Porsche side. So yes a problem that I found and was dealing with for over half a year for numerous reasons does seem to be resolved as of now with this method. It's not and issue for everyone out there but for those with a wider version transaxle.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts