Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Charter Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running mechanical speedometers and can't get an accurate reading with gears and tires, go to an electrical speedometer. I recently installed the Auto-meter 160 MPH electric speedometer, installation and calibration was a snap. Readings are dead on with GPS check. I had T-5 and 3.73 gears and no combination brought me close with the mechanical guage. By the way old gauge showing 1921 miles, and 50" steel braided cable for sale.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
That's good info. I have the same tranny/gear setup as you.

I've always wondered how an electric speedo gets it's data. That is to say, what electricity in the car is fed to the speedo?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
GBranham...

You have to install and wire in a speed sensor at the transmission (unless you are running a newer TKO with a built in speed sensor)...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
IMO, the electrics are easier to install.

Another advantage to electric is that you can turn it off. Some insurance companies limit your driving to so many miles per year. If you turn off the speedo/odometer, you don't add miles.

Not that I would ever do something like that, mind you. I'v just heard about it.

·
Charter Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installation was easy, I used the Ford VSS (didn't need Auto-meter sender). With the VSS there are two wires one goes to ground and the other is the signal wire to the back of the speedometer( there's no polority so it doesn't matter which way they are wired). Then you have power to the speedometer back and a ground, and hot lead and grd. for the face light. Very simple install, some people using the autometer sender have had clearance problems at the tranny, with the Ford vss there are no clearance problems. Another advantage is that you can change rear ratios and tire diameters and just re-calibrate the speedometer.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
What is the calibration process?

·
613 Posts
When I calibrated mine I drove 2 miles at a steady 40 mph. Of course you have to get the speedometer into the "calibration mode" by pressing the trip button in a certain sequence. I used a GPS to monitor the 2 miles and speed. I might have to recalibrate it again as I have worn the rear tires down some since then
I highly recommend the electric over mechanical speedo. mike

·
Senior Charter Member
231 Posts
airdrop13,
the cool part is you don't have to drive a steady speed. You can even stop. I stopped, slowed down, etc and my odometer is right on (and I mean exactly) with the milemarkers.

I'm going to have to recalibrate too because for some reason, my rear tires are getting smaller.

·
Charter Member
378 Posts
For Autometer Electronic gauges:

1) Hold Trip/Reset while starting engine then release, needle moves to full sweep.
2) Position car at start of known measures 2 mile strip. Press Trip/Reset, needle moves to half sweep position.
3) Drive 2 miles and stop. Press Trip/Reset again, needle returns to zero, calibration complete.

That's what my instructions say anyway.
-Matt

·
613 Posts
Steve, Don't trust all the mile markers. I have seen them off a slight bit. When in calibration mode the speedo senses the signal from the VSS and keeps track of how many inputs are in the 2 mile distance. Gotta love it. mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,835 Posts
The Classic Instrument, elec speedo is similar. You can use the ford vss,and wiring is easy. Their speedo is programed by several small flip switches on the back. You fallow a car at 60mph, note the speed, showing on your speedometer, and using a chart, flip on the proper switches, to correctly set it.

·
Charter Member
653 Posts
Is there an electrical speedo that has the reverse 180mph face?

·
Charter Member
237 Posts
Dave

I was wondering the same thing. I checked with autometer and a few others with no luck. So I went with the traditional chrome autometer electrics

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Which gauge did you get? I looked at Autometer's site and could not get results for the Electronic gauges with a full search area.

Maybe they are having problems with their page?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Classic Instruments is the only reverse wind electric 5-inch speedo I know of (they have it in 3 3/8-inch as well)...

The new Kirkham gauges might be electric speedo as well, check with Dave Hodgkins (CNGreen), as he just picked a set up...

HTH...
Mark

·
Charter Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cobracus, which autometer series are you looking for can possibly supply you with part numbers to do a search on their website.

·
Charter Member
653 Posts
OK, I am probably missing something on a website somewhere, but I couldn't find the Classics on a sponsoring website. Can someone point a finger in the right direction (not that finger)?

The Kirkhams look incredible, but I have to hit budget somewhere in this build

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts