Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that it's possible that I may be moving to England and don't know what I should do about recently completed ffr#3490. Does anyone know what the market is like for these? I hate the thought of storing it for three years, which is how long I would be there. I'd love to take it for daily use, but that's not an option. I'm open to any sugestions. I must admit if I could sell it for enough profit to make another, it would be cool.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Might have to convert it to right hand drive to use it or sell it in England. Might be worth it. See if you can find a british classifieds to see what they are trying to get for them over there.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
TAKE IT!! The English countryside roads are great Cobra roads, and lefthand drive works OK once you get used to driving on the other side. The English are all car nuts, and drive roadsters in the rain all the time; your car would be a big hit over there.

The only problem that I see is with the price of gas, very high compared to here, and the auto tax structure, based on displacement and power output, I think, but if you're military or can somehow avoid registering it under the British system, I think you'd be OK.

If you have to sell it here, take your time, advertise it widely, not just here: there are a lot of wealthy folks for whom it would be an impulse buy even at $30,000 and up.

Forrest

·
Senior Charter Member
437 Posts
You can leave it with me and I will guarantee that it will get cleaned and driven daily! Would you concider a 3 year rental???!!!

John :D

·
Charter Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The three year rental idea is a thought, but the background checks you would have to undergo would be more intensive than those for a Top Secret clearance. Not to mention, the price... I do appreciate the offer though. I must admit the idea of cruising the country side is appealing, but I have to have a daily driver and the government will only ship one vehicle. If I took it, it would be to sale for profit so I can build another one when I get home. Does the forum have any members that reside in England?

·
5,042 Posts
Lived there for 30 years and also built cars there. I know a lot about the current car scene and your Cobra would be superb! I say take it, use it then sell before you come home (about 6 months before because it could take a while to find the right buyer). Shipping will total about $1,200 from the east coast by the time you're done with all the unforseen fees. You should be able to get registered with only a few minor mods (like lights that 'dip' the other direction and orange turn signals) but since it's all Lucas, parts are easy. If you need shipping information I can help.

The value of your car over there will be good. It costs more to build a Cobra over there than here so you will heva a blast and break even at the end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts