Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Charter Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching Mass registration discussions in an effort to decide how to build my engine (thanks Shep). A few guys have said that an "EFI with cats" should have no problem passing emissions tests. Does this mean an efi with only cats i.e. no smog pump or egr, or were you guys talking about an engine that basically has all the factory pollution devices as well as cats? Thanks for the help.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Paul,

Our cars will be subject to a two speed tailpipe test as we don't have OBDII (at least I won't). I am going with the Mass-Flo system and no smog equipment. We'll have two years after first registration before we are subject to that test. I'm going to give it a shot without cats (I'm not going agressive on the cam. E303). If I fail, I put cats on. With a good condition motor, EFI, and a non-radical cam, I think it will pass.

Mark

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
My '89 HO engine has cats with no smog pump but I have the EGR. Passed my emissions test with the following:
HC reading = .45 with max allowable = .80
CO reading = 8.62 with max allowable = 15.00
NOx reading = .52 with max max allowable = 2.00

Hardest part was getting the test computer to let the car on the dyno. I also have a Vortech, TYPHOON intake, 30lb injectors, 75mm MAM, 75mm TB, and 75mm EGR, and stock computer. The readings were even lower when I had the STOCK setup. So even with changing the induction it can still work.

JimmyZ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts