Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if someone came across a method of marking the aluminum panels for drilling that would clean off. I am concerned that using a Sharpie it won't clean off. Any good tips out there????? Having a blast with this build. Thanks

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
sharpie will come off with a mild solvent

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Use a Sharpie...it comes off with Brake Cleaner really well...spray and wipe.

building is a blast!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What they all said (which is what I did.) However, as an alternative, you can run masking tape along where you want to mark/drill. Mark, drill, remove tape. I did this when working on pieces that I had painted black. Make sure you use the kind of masking tape that does stick real well and remove as soon as you are done. Different tackiness of masking tape is available at Home Depot.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
Sharpie make a silver pen for marking on black surfaces.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
I used a black non-permanent sharpie for white boards.

To remove it later you can use either brake, or carb cleaner. It also removes the letters on the aluminum. My panels were very clean after wiping them off with it.

Olivier

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
If you really don't want to use a solvent, then get dry erase markers. You can get the fine tipped ones that are used for transparencies. Does anyone even use transparencies anymore?

Anyway, I use them all the time for marking metal. They are really great and you can just wipe them off with your finger or a rag.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Acetone will take it off.

·
Charter Member
1,494 Posts
Try a "Dry Erase" pen. The type you probably use on the message board that is stuck on your refridgerator. It washes of with water. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I will warn you that if you leave Sharpie marks on for a few months, they "protect" the surface from tarnish/weathering and will leave a "negative" image. You must then polish the whole panel to remove the image. As others have said, "Don't ask me how I know."

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
I just used a pencil and eraser.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Black sharpie to mark and write notes to self on alum. panels.Alum panels had a lot of graffiti on them during build with notes on what part went over or under,what peice got installed before the next,ect. This and also factory markings come off with laquer thinner. Pick up a gollon of cheap thinner since you will find uses for it as you build for removing marks,cleaning for paint,removing oil,removing tape adhesive,ect.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
Mother's Aluminum polish works very well to remove permanent marker. It also gives you an excuse to polish the panels.

-Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts